She knows her name pretty well. Even though she often gets distracted, Buffy can go on a half an hour walk and heel without too much difficulty. She knows how to fetch (doesn’t really get the part that she needs to let go of whatever she fetches), sit, down, dance (jump up), roll over (well, this one is a work in progress), paw and is pretty good at speak. Considering that in dogs year Buffy is only three years old, she’s doing quite well.
When we enrolled Buffy into puppy class my wife and I joked that she would be at the top of her class. Diana and I both went to Northwestern University so of course our dog would excel in her class. After our first puppy, Buffy wasn’t at the head of the class and I was a little disappointed.
Was Buffy’s performance in class really all that bad? Not really, she was nervous being in a new place which is normal for Buffy. Once other dogs were in the room though, she calmed down and did a fantastic job socializing with the other dogs. She gave us a solid 40 minutes of great focus but for the last 20 minutes she was pretty much done. She was distracted by the adjacent room and was just getting tired. As I saw the other dogs doing the heeling exercise that Buffy just wasn’t interested in doing, I caught myself getting frustrated with her.
Being in a class setting I revert back to this need to be the best and succeed at a high level and it’s easy to forget that success has nothing to do with being better than others and getting a high grade. Success is about how we feel about ourselves and the progress we make as learners. If Buffy only learns one thing in each class out of the numerous exercises, that can be success for her. It really isn't fair to project my own feelings of academic success on my puppy.
My feelings of disappointments have dissolved into feelings of pride after my wife reminded me how amazing Buffy performed even if there was twenty minutes in class she wasn’t focused. The whole getting frustrated thing, well, that happened again a couple days later.
One afternoon, I was trying to lure Buffy out from under our coffee table and I was loosing my patience.
I told you my dog was smart.
No comments:
Post a Comment