Friday, October 30, 2009

Buffy 1st Halloween or “How We Robbed Buffy Of Her Dignity”

Teachers often say that if you don’t find kids entertaining you shouldn't be a teacher. The same thing applies to dogs. If you don’t’ find the everyday things that dogs do hilarious, you really shouldn't have a dog.

Now there are different categories of things that dogs do that are entertaining. There are the natural things that they do independently that are cute. These are things like yawning, rolling over, chasing their tails, stretching and all that other cute stuff. Then there are the things that we enjoy through interacting with them like going on walks, rubbing their tummies and playing fetch.

Then there’s the things that we make our dogs do that they really don’t enjoy all that much that we find awesome. Now there’s a line between teasing and tormenting dogs. In no way do I think it’s funny to do mean things to dogs. I wouldn’t find something entertaining that truly distressed my puppy Buffy, but making her a little annoy for our entertainment is relatively harmless.

Things like moving furniture to freak her out . . .



. . . or putting a blanket over Buffy’s head . . .




And then there's the ultimate in doing stuff to dogs that they get no joy out of but we do anyways because it’s cute and entertaining: dressing up dogs for Halloween.

Unlike other over commercialized holidays, Halloween has absolutely no pretense of its original meaning any more. What does dressing up like Hannah Montana or scantily clad flight attendant and begging for candy have to do with the Christian day of All Saints, celebrating the harvest or scaring away evil spirits? I’m not trying to hate on Halloween. If you get into it and have a great time, it’s all good. God knows towards the end of October we need something to lift our spirits.

I don’t personally like dressing up for Halloween but parties are fun, so why can’t the dog join in? Well, I told myself I wasn’t going to be “one of those” dog owners who dressed up their dogs, but that was before I actually got Buffy.

Let me backtrack a second. When we were deciding whether we would get a dog, any concerns we had would be answered with “but she’ll be really cute.” For example, “what are we going to do when we go on vacation? That might get tricky,” and my wife would respond “but she’ll be really cute.” The thing is that Buffy is really cute and honestly part of me kind of becoming “one of those” dog owners in relating to dog cute-ness levels and when you got a puppy that’s as cute as Buffy, you got dress them up at least once.

Does Buffy like wearing a costume? No, does any dog enjoy wearing costumes? I don’t really think so. Part of me thinks all those dogs in costumes who look happy are photoshopped. Oh wait THERE ARE NO PICTURES OF DOGS WHO ARE HAPPY IN COSUTME!!

So after visiting a couple different stores (yes it not only took multiple stores but multiple nights to find Buffy a costume) we decided on getting Buffy a Tigger costume from Winnie The Pooh. Yeah, it wasn't exactly a piece of cake to put the costume on her:

But eventually I got it on her:

The best part is how it look like Tigger is trying to eat Buffy. And really, look how happy she looks!!

Okay, Buffy looks like she wants to die. But c'mon, this is really cute. The original plan was for Buffy to dress up like cat and this is pretty close to that and lately she has been bouncing around a lot.

Am I mean owner trying to torture my puppy? Maybe a little . . . Look Buffy has a great life. She gets plenty of walks, gets a lot of attention and has a more active social life then I do. I thinks he can withstand a little humiliation for my own entertainment well and for yours.

Happy Halloween everybody!!

. . . mebbe if I luk pathetic enough, him will taek dis fin of uv meh . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment