Wednesday, December 2, 2009

You Know Me by Robbie Wiliams

Way back in March I wrote a post about "Angels" by Robbie Williams talking about how this world famous artists has not made much of a dent in the American market but is one of the best male pop singers around. Seeing how Robbie is still not a household name in America, it looks like I still have work to do.

Robbie’s second single, “You Know Me,” off his new album Reality Killed the Video Star is good, not ironic good, or good for what it is but truly great. Reality Killed the Video Star is filled with soulful, beautiful and transcendent pop music. If you love music, you owe it to yourself to check out what’s going with Robbie. He will not disappoint.



I was talking to my wife about how the use of acoustic instruments gives country music a warmth, an energy that American popular music often lacks. Robbie injects this into “You Know Me” with doo-wop background singers, soaring strings and brass colors throughout the song. And the timpani drums!!! AWESOME.

Robbie’s musical attitude has a self-assured cockiness, “What a waste of war this peace.” However right under the surface is a romantic, heartfelt and sincere man, willing to admit ones mistakes and express true love, “since you went away, my heart breaks everyday”

Robbie sets his verses with his characteristic rapping. It's a combination of a confident swagger and a nervous man not able to say what he really means. It’s like Hugh Grand bumbling British romantic comedy character but in singer form.

There’s a beautiful moment in this song during the chorus after the instrumental break (about 3 minutes in) when the instruments cut out and provide chords hits behind Robbie. These hits aren’t tight snaps of sound like in funk music but are rather broad strokes of color and warmth. They create a sonic space for the other instrumentals to fill, rise above and overflow in musical color when they enter.

Robbie works within conventions of popular music that we know, adds his individual touch and attitude creating a song that draws upon our musical nostalgia for not only great popular but the emotions those songs evoked.

Give Robbie a chance. This song is great. It’ll make you smile and remind you how great music can make you feel.

Now Robbie’s music video for this song. Um, yeah this is one of the weirder things I’ve seen in a while. I don’t know what he was thinking, well I guess I know what he’s thinking it’s pretty obvious what he’s going for, it’s just. . . um. . .yeah. . . whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment