Monday, May 31, 2010

Hot In Herre by Nelly

It’s getting hot over here in Chicago.

A perfectly logical response to the warming of temperature is to take off articles of clothing, sweaters, hats, jackets, scarf.

Nelly took this a step further. Forget about taking of some of your clothes to cool, “it’s getting hot in herre so take of all of your clothes."  This statement would be completely absurd except for the fact the response from the woman in this situation of rising temperature agrees, “I am getting so hot, I’m going to take my clothes off.”



What, is Nelly a hypnotist or something? Really, could he have said, “it’s getting hot herre, so give all of your money” and then the woman would response, “I am getting so hot, I’m going to give you all of my money!”

Okay, okay, I guess this whole “take off all your clothes,” is a natural sensual extension of the idea of one taking some clothes off because of heat.  Hey you’re at a party things are getting crazy, why not flirt with the idea of getting naked?  Lord knows it's better than what I could have come up with:  “It’s getting hot in herre, so open all your windows."

I am SURE that some person who maybe had a little bit too much to drink heard Nelly’s suggestion on how to cool off and actually did take all of their clothes off. You don’t think so?  Well, we are a pretty suggestible society; “Hot In Heere” sold over 500,00 copies.

I was in college when this song hit and it was played at every party I went to. There is a lot built into this song that makes it fun to dance to from syncopated bass line to the fascinatingly internal logic of the chorus. There’s plenty of “uh, uh,” Nelly asks for that a crowd can provide (maybe instead of repeatedly asking for a little he should have asked for a lot). Then there’s the lines set apart from the rhythm of the rap like “I think mah butt in there!!” that fun to sing along with.

My favorite part:
Stop pacing, time wasting
I gotta a friend with a fo' in the basement (What?)
I'm just kiddin like Jason (Oh)
Unless you gon' do it.

I don’t even know what he has in the basement but you know it’s something that the girl is kind of offended by but Nelly doesn't care.

Awesome.

One final note about this song apparently extra "R" in "Herre" is not a pronunciation thing but a rather an indication that is really hot. If this song was “Hot In Herrre” books would be igniting into flame.

Don't worry Chicago, no matter how catchy this song is and how hot it gets I will keep my clothes on.  

What a song. 

Now enjoy Weird Al's version.



2 comments:

  1. "I got a friend with a POLE in the basement" as in a stripper pole that the girl can dance on. That's why she's offended.

    I think "kidding like Jason" is a play on the name of basketball player Jason Kidd

    The girl looks into the mirror and says, "I think my butt gettin' big"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the insight. Fascinating, the pole just makes Nelly all that more charming (I'm being sarcastic here).

    ReplyDelete