Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Round 1: John Mellencamp Vs. Jessica Simpson

Welcome to the first “Versus” post on this blog. On my Wednesday posts I’m going to compare two versions of a song and then conclude which version I find more meaningful.
Round 1: “Jack And Diane” by John Cougar Mellencamp Vs. “I Think I’m In Love With You” by Jessica Simpson



Mellencamp’s 1982 number one hit tells the story of two people growing up in America’s heartland. The famous chorus reminds us that life goes on even when the “thrill of living is gone.”

Versus



From Jessica Simpson’s debut album in 1999, “I Think I’m In Love With You” features a direct sample from “Jack And Diane.” This song tells of a girl who realizes that her actions and thoughts are a result of falling in love.

The Winner:
I gotta give this one to Jessica Simpson. “Jack And Diane” fails to make any significant reflections on childhood. The statement of the chorus really isn’t that poignant. Yes, life goes on even when we’re bored. . . okay so what? Mellencamp has reveled that “Jack And Diane” was originally about an interracial couple and maybe that would have made this song mean something more but as is, it really doesn’t.

“I Think I’m In Love” takes the music from Mellencamp and injects the pure glee and teenage joy of being in love that lacks in “Jack And Diane.” Yes, it’s bubblegum pop but it’s exuberance is exactly how young people feel when they are first in love (which is why this style of music continues to appeal to young teens).

Next week: Bob Dylan Vs. Jimi Hendrix

2 comments:

  1. Sorry, man, my vote's with the Coug'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like both songs but have been listening to a lot of Jessica Simpson lately. Just really miss the music of the beginning of the last decade.

    ReplyDelete