Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The Fifth 100 Miles

For the past three years, every time I hit 100 miles of running, I’ve excitedly written a post about the experience of working my way up to that point. The first 100 miles I talked about some basics of running, my second 100 miles, I discussed how hard it is to find time to run, my third 100 miles led up to my first 5K and for my fourth 100 miles, I wrote about returning from an injury.

What’s the deal with my fifth 100 miles?  I hit that landmark mile about a month ago. It was exactly a month since that time that I recently ran again. It took me about 10 months to run 100 miles, which is an improvement from the year it took me to run my fourth 100 miles. That’s good news, but it really doesn’t feel like it.

I’ve been at this running thing for three years and one of the things that I’ve realized is that you have a relationship with running just like the one you have with a life long friend. Sometimes things are great. You have time for each other, every time you hang out it feels great. However just like with a good friend, life has a way of happening. Getting sick, job stress, having a kid drives a wedge between the two of you. You do the best you can to find time for each other and when you do, sometimes it just feels awkward, but you know in the back of your mind that you are there for each other.

That’s how the last 100 miles went. My runs weren’t great but I was making miles happen. There wasn’t a race I was working towards which didn’t help my motivation. Between runs I started a sit-up and push-up routine that got me up to 100 sit-ups, (I’m still working on the push-up part of it), which prodvided an alternative to running that didn’t take a lot of time.

The month in which I didn’t run was filled up with life. Everyone in our house, except for Buffy, got sick (everyone is fine now) and I had grades to do, which took up my weekends and evenings. While I was excited about getting another 100 miles done, it really didn’t seem like that big of a deal.

For the past week I’ve been on break and haven’t had school so it would seem like a perfect time to get back running, but I wasn’t feeling it until tonight (it’s Saturday, the weekend before this post). With the Bunny Rock 5K on the horizon, I really felt the desire to get myself back into shape and go for it.

It’s really nerve-racking to run after taking some time off. You know that things aren’t going to go as well as when you were in shape, but you also know that a lot of it is a mental game. Believe it or not, I had a really satisfying run after a whole month off.

My sixth 100 miles starts right off with a seven-week program to get in shape for my second 5K. It’s going to be crazy but I think I can make it and beat my time two years ago at this same event.

Sometimes when you meet up with a friend that you haven’t seen in a while there’s an awkward period of time when you catch up and get used to each other all over again but other times you don’t miss a beat. The latter is how my run felt today. It’s good to be back with running, my old friend. We are going to have a fun seven weeks and I promise, we may spend some time apart but I’ll always come back to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment