Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I’ve Got a Rock 'N’ Roll Heart by Eric Clapton

I’ve never really been big into cell phones. I don’t really care about having the newest one with the camera and the mp3 player and the touch screen and the lotion dispenser. I just want a phone that works, one I can make calls on and send texts. The only times I’ve gotten new phones are when my old one has died but after seeing this commercial for the first time in my life I was excited about a new cell phone.



Yes, the only reason I want this phone is because of Eric Clapton, the fact that it has a the classic Fender Stratocaster sunburst design on the back and because this ad features my new favorite Eric Clapton song, “I’ve Got a Rock ‘N’ Roll Heart.”



So after finding this commercial on youtube.com and watching this 30-second clip about 43 times I broke down and downloaded the song on itunes. On what sweet, bluesy ecstasy.

This is Clapton pre-“Tears In Heaven” (which I wrote about in one of my first posts). Clapton had great success in the 1960s and 1970s but as the 1980s began, things were not going so well. After battling a heroin addiction and admitting that he was an alcoholic, Clapton went into the studio to produce what he considered most forced album, Money and Cigarettes. You wouldn’t have known this if all you knew from Clapton was the lead single from that 1983 album, “I’ve Got a Rock ‘N’ Roll Heart.”

The instrumental introduction with the organ pouring in like sunlight with soulful guitar licks set a warm and optimistic tone for this song. You know the first twenty seconds of this song how good its going to feel.

Clapton’s voice quietly creeps in describing how serious this relationship is getting. He feels need to warn his love interest before it gets any further how much music is part of his life and with that we have the laid back and inspired chorus that is featured in the cell phone advertisement.

I get off on 57 Chevys,
I get off on screaming guitars.
Ike the way it hits me every time it hits me.
I’ve got a rock and roll, I’ve got a rock and roll heart.

The way the song leads up to the chorus there’s a sense of warning, “there’s something baby that you got to know.” And while Clapton explains the way he feels about music, it quickly switches from a warning to an declaration of love. It’s not so much that these are things to be fearful of but that his woman has to understand how great these things makes him feels.

The best thing about this song it expresses that feeling that Clapton so perfectly sings about. Simply close your eyes, turn up this one and my God it’s the perfect combination of rock, blues. It’s simply righteous. I understand Eric, I don’t want to change either.

Man if that cell phone makes me feel as good as this song I’ll buy a dozen. Talk about the perfect song to for that commercial. God I love music.

Maybe I should have warned Diana about my rock ‘n’ roll heart. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment