We totally won the bet . . . kind of.
We crate trained Buffy. It worked really well to help house-train her. Buffy took to her crate quickly as you can see in this early video.
It didn’t even occur to me that Buffy would sleep somewhere else until we started taking naps together.
When we first started thinking about getting a puppy I wanted a dog I could play with and Diana wanted a puppy she could cuddle with. I honestly didn’t really understand the appeal of cuddling with a dog until Buffy started to relax with me and fall asleep in my arms.
We are at our most venerable when we are sleeping. It takes a enormous amount of trust to feel safe being asleep with someone else. For Buffy to feel that safe with Diana and I was an important step. This connection of trust and love with another being warms your heart in a way that nothing else really does.
Once Diana and I felt that Buffy was pretty well potty trained we bought Buffy a bed and started having her sleep in our bedroom.
At first it seemed that Buffy was more into sleeping underneath our covers on the floor at the foot of the bed.
Eventually she took to her bed and every morning I find her lying there sometimes upside down and sometimes half-off the bed in some seemingly awkward contortion.
No, Buffy doesn’t really sleep on our bed, at least through the night, but I guess she might as well.
When Buffy is near me and she is sleeping it feels right. It's impossibly cute and strengthens a bond between us that I can't really describe. When I see Diana and Buffy sleeping together it's a different but equally amazing feeling. There is a peace that you can experiences with others. Diana and Buffy bring this contentment to each other when they are sleeping together.
It's truly one of most beautiful things I have ever seen.
No comments:
Post a Comment