Friday, July 15, 2011

Buffy Gets Attacked - Part 1: "I Love You" eyes

Below is part one of a six part series about a recent incident when Buffy was attacked by another dog.  Buffy fortunately got through this experience without any permanent physical or mental damage.  

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.”
Sitting at my friend’s wedding, listening to this Bible passage I had no idea how in less than twenty-four hours, one of the scariest moments in my life would prove to me the truth in these words.

For the past two years I’ve written about Buffy, my little Shetland Sheepdog. I’ve reflected on the events in Buffy’s life, what it means to have a dog and how Buffy has changed my life.

There’s been some tough moments in the past two years, like the time Buffy ate some gum and I had to induce vomiting, when Buffy got spayed, and the first time Buffy went on a plane.  Those things were tough but I never doubted Buffy would be okay through those experiences. At the end of it all, these moments were probably harder for me than they were for Buffy. However the moment I alluded to earlier was something very different.

Diana and I took Buffy to a park for a meet-up with some friends and their dogs. One of the people that was there was a dog named Molly, an Australian cattle dog. When we first met Molly and her owner Amy a couple weeks ago, Amy made it clear to us that Molly was aggressive towards dogs and she took great care to keep her at a save distance from other dogs.

One of the other people who was at the park was another one of our friends, Elizabeth who is a dog trainer. She suggested some training exercises that seemed fun so we did some training work while we were at the park.

Elizabeth set us up for an exercise where a dog on leash had to walk pass some dogs who were sitting or laying down and keep walking straight and pay attention to his or her owner. Buffy started out as the dog sitting down while other dogs walked passed. My girl is kind of a flirt, so it was a challenge for the other dogs to walk by without wanting to say hi but they did pretty well.

Then it was Buffy’s turn to be the dog walking on leash.

Molly’s owner put her in a down position lying on the grass. Diana, leash in hand, started walking Buffy passed Molly. Buffy trotted along happily looking up to Diana with her “I love you,” eyes, when Molly lunged at Buffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment