Friday, July 22, 2011

Buffy Gets Attacked Part 2 - The Sound

Below is part two of a six part series about a recent incident when Buffy was attacked by another dog. Buffy fortunately got through this experience without any permanent physical or mental damage. Click here for part 1.


Before I knew it Diana was on the ground trying to free Buffy from Molly whose jaws were imbedded in Buffy’s mane. Amy was on top of Molly trying to get her off and Elizabeth jumped in the middle trying to get them apart. I have this image burned into my memory but when I think about it, the image goes blurry except for the look of helplessness and pain on Buffy’s face.

But that wasn’t the worst part.

The worst part was the sound.

Buffy was screaming. Now I’ve stepped on Buffy’s paw and tail and she lets out a yelped but this was different. This was a sustained cry of terror. Diana was yelling as well, trying to scare the other dog off but it sounded like Diana was screaming, feeling the pain that Buffy was in.

I stood there frozen, not knowing what to do. I almost jumped in but when I saw Elizabeth in the middle of them, in the spilt second I decided that if anyone could get them apart it would be her and somehow she did.

When Diana felt that Buffy was free she stood up with Buffy in her arms and ran away from the rest of us. Elizabeth and I caught up to Diana and Elizabeth asked Diana to give Buffy to her so she could see if she as okay. Diana did not want to let go of Buffy but I knew that someone had to check Buffy over so I asked Diana to let Elizabeth check her out and reluctantly she Diana let Elizabeth take her.

Elizabeth felt around Buffy’s body, moved her legs around and not feeling Buffy flinch in pain at all she told us that Buffy seemed ok. Diana told me she needed a moment and walked away from Buffy, Elizabeth and I.

I gently walked Buffy around a little bit and got her some water. She seemed fine, but as she noticed that Diana wasn’t with us she started heading in Diana’s direction with urgency. As we got over to Diana, Buffy had a look on her face like she was wondering why we were so upset. Then Buffy saw another Sheltie in the park and excitedly walked over there to say hi.

Elizabeth suggested that we take Buffy to play with one of her friends to have a positive dog interaction as soon as possible. So we headed over to Kirby’s and they had a great time tearing around the house.


When we got home I picked up Buffy and approached Diana for a group hug. Ever since we got Buffy, we’ve been able to have group hugs as a family. More often than not it’s a silly gesture squeezing Buffy between as she alternates between licking my face and Diana’s face.

That evening the hug felt different. Close to tears, this was a moment of thanksgiving and relief. That afternoon Diana and I feared the worst. Molly weighed at least twice as much as Buffy. This wasn’t a fair fight. Buffy had no chance. Her primary defense is her ability to run away and because she was caught off guard she couldn’t dodge the attack.

We could have lost Buffy.

And in that moment holding my wife and my girly, I felt like the luckiest.


Next week: Part 3 - Apologies

No comments:

Post a Comment