Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Harmonize Our Uniqueness

I've been struggling to find a way to reconcile the idea of becoming one voice in my band classes while valuing the individuality and uniqueness of each of our students. Like with many of my questions in life Mister Rogers provided a great answer:
Music has given me a way of expressing my feelings and my thoughts, and it has also given me a way of understanding more about life. For example, as you play together in a symphony orchestra, you can appreciate that each musician has something fine to offer. Each one is different, though, and you each have a different "song to sing." When you sing together, you make one voice. That's true of all endeavors, not just musical ones. Finding ways to harmonize our uniqueness with the uniqueness of others can be the most fun--and the most rewarding--of all.
Creating music with others is not about everybody doing the same thing.  It's about blending what is unique and awesome about each person to make a unique and magical creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment