Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Buffy As An Adult


Buffy is getting older.

This last May, our little puppy turned five years old. This means that she’s thirty-six in human years. As much as we would like to think of her as the little puppy that she once was, she is now an adult dog.

Buffy is not a puppy and this is one of the hardest realities that I face and one that I’m most in denial about when I think about my life. It’s obvious. Buffy is not as needy as she was when she was a puppy. She doesn’t need to be walked as often, she doesn’t demand to be played with like she once did and that limitless well of energy that exhausted us, sometimes runs out before ours does.

As an adult, Buffy is a happy and healthy dog. She gets walks every day and she still goes on has adventures, even though they are more focused on Ollie. We don’t have as much time to go on outings that are just focused on Buffy or take classes with her but we do the best we can to make sure she is included as much as we can in our lives. For example, she went with us to Seattle these past couple weeks.

There are a lot of great things about Buffy being an adult. She doesn’t have accidents around the house, she’s more attuned to the needs of our family and she is less impulsive as she was when she was a puppy.

Often when I think about Buffy being a puppy, I focus on the cute things, the new discoveries and how much every little action she did charmed us. Along with all of those things, it was a lot of work. I don’t think our family could handle having a puppy along with Ollie and the other things going on in our lives. In this way, Buffy has grown up to be exactly what we need in our lives right now.

As much as I like to reminisce about our cute puppy, it’s not the puppy that I love but our dog. I loved Buffy as a puppy, I love her now, and I’ll love her when she’s an old dog.

Yes, she was cute and adorable as a puppy, but now Buffy is beautiful.


When you bring a dog into your life, you are embracing the arc of life. You are committing yourself to be part of a life, and see the milestones that human’s take 80 years to work through in the span of twelve years, maybe longer if you’re lucky.

Just because you signed up for this, doesn’t make it any easier. All the stages of life are wonderful and meaningful, but they are finite and fleeting and with a dog, they go so much faster then you can possibly imagine. People say that life go by quickly with a child, but not nearly as quickly as they do with a puppy.

The passage of time is painful sometimes, but it’s the price we pay for the joy and happiness of life. As hard as it is to see admit that our time with Buffy that once seemed finite really isn’t, when I think about this fact, I feel proud. We’ve had a great time with Buffy, we’ve lived through a lot together and she’s been more than a best friend. At times she’s been the most important soul in our lives. There’s nothing we could have done better for her in the last five years. This makes me proud of the life we shared with her and excited for the rest of our lives together.


I know, Buffy’s no longer a puppy but for some reason calling her “our puppy,” makes me feel better, because she’s always going to be my puppy. Just like how Ollie is always going to be my special little guy. Not because I don’t love how Buffy is as an adult, but because it’s when she was a puppy that she found her way into my heart and has never left.

No comments:

Post a Comment