In 6th and 8th grade band, I’ve chosen technically easier music than I have in years past. Some of it has to do with technical considerations, but more than that it’s about aligning the type of music learning that I talk about with the experience my students have. I often talk about how learning the notes and the rhythms are only a small part of learning a song, and I have found that I do not have adequate time in a concert prep to really focus on the things beyond the notes and rhythms. Some students don’t love the lack of individual technical challenge, but I’m hoping (and seeing in some instances), that ensemble work winning them over with this easier repertoire.
6th grade band evolves so quickly from learning how to open the case to some pretty complex musical ideas only in span of a couple months. Thinking about how to play the notes when less than a year ago, some student literally didn’t know what end to blow into the instrument (this isn’t a joke, it’s true) is mind-blowing when you take a step back. I introduced the idea of blending your sound by playing so that you can hear the person next to you, and the sound made me so happy.
I didn’t want to show too much excitement because I wanted to set a new standard. Thinking back at the squawks and squeaks from earlier in the year, a sound that only a band teacher would lean in to, and not run away from, was one of the highlights of my week. In that moment, I paused to let myself feel proud, which is a feeling I move through too fast, far too often.
It’s been a tiring week for all of the students and teachers alike. We have our wonderful middle school musical going on, lots of projects, meetings, hiring processes, and other school events going on. So I planned to not rehearse that much in 8th grade today. I figured we could warm-up, play part of a song, and fix one measure. We did that, it was kind of a struggle, but the kids were with me. I had to push them to get them to concentrate more, but we did eventually create a nice musical “moment,” an energetic crescendo.
Then I put up a picture of my wife’s Nana holding Ollie, the day after he was born and I talked to them about the concept of self-care. I explained how Nana passed away last week, and that this was a challenging week managing my life. I talked about self-care is important for all of us to think about at whatever age we are at, so that we can be present for the people we care about. I reflected on the kindness of Nana, and that kindness is an act that we should never take for granted.
Together, we experience a moment of self-care that had been getting me through the week, watching part of Nailed It, a silly Netflix baking show. Even though the show is set up for you to laugh at people’s fails, it's not mean. Instead kindness and warmth permeates the show.
We watched one challenge from the show, we all laughed together, and thought about kindness. My students went on to their day, and I went to prepare myself to leave school early to get to Nana’s funeral to say goodbye.
No comments:
Post a Comment