I know that my boys benefit from growing up with a dog, but sometimes I wonder if Buffy’s life has been enriched living our two boys. I don’t remember thinking about how having a dog would affect our kid’s lives when we got Buffy, and I didn’t really consider how Buffy’s life would change when we had kids. Now I can’t imagine a having kids without a dog in the house. While there are moments when I reminisce about the simplicity of Buffy being our only child, I’m happy how our family has grown and I feel that it has been good for Buffy.
Almost every night, Buffy chooses the bed in Ethan’s room to sleep on, instead of the bed in our bedroom. When Ollie plays in the backyard, Buffy will bark at him acting as the “fun police,” making sure that he is doing okay. And of course, Buffy is always around during dinner time to keep watch for any food falling on the ground. Ethan really likes touching Buffy’s fur, and he works hard to reach out to her. Buffy is very patient with as his arm flails around her head, or tail as he tries to grab a handful of hair.
The first couple months of having two kids in the house, in some ways has been easier on Buffy then the first couple months of Ollie’s life. When Ollie was just about a month old, we moved, which was a challenge for all of us. However, the baby in house did mean that Buffy got less walks, and less attention. This means that at night, she’s more whiny in the evening, and she hasn’t been brushed as regularly, but we are doing the best we can.
Even though Buffy is a herding dog, and has demonstrated herding instincts with sheep, she doesn’t really try to herd the boys. However, there is a sense of pride in her strut when we’re going on a walk. She is attentive to Ollie and the stroller. Buffy makes sure to keep up if Ollie is up ahead on his scooter, or will stop if the stroller is too far behind.
Sometimes Buffy simply looks judgingly up at us when Ethan is crying, and sometimes when Ollie is dancing she finds a quiet corner of the house to find some peace. As much as Buffy seems to enjoy sleeping in Ethan’s room and keeping him company, when he cries at night, she is quick to relocate to cave created by our covers hanging off of the foot of our bed. There are other times at the end of the long day she looks just as tired as me and Diana, relieved that the both of the boys are finally asleep.
I know Buffy has had fewer uninterrupted nap, and fewer our outings are now rarely centered around her. We used to regularly take Buffy to the dog park or the dog beach and we haven’t been since Ollie was born. This makes me sad sometimes, but more, I’m proud that we had so many special adventures with Buffy before the boys came into our lives. While she is no longer the center of our world, I know that she has a good life.
I'm grateful that Buffy has been with us through it all with the boys. She has stayed up with Diana late at night as she tries to get one of them to sleep, and she has kept me company when Diana is away and I struggle to get the boys fed for dinner. Her presence is always comforting, and significant. I know under her watchful eyes the boys feel this as well.
The boys have given Buffy a larger pack, and a feeling of responsibility. In turn she continues to enrich our lives with every soft sigh, and with every excited peak through the window, watching as I get out of my car walking up to out front door.
No comments:
Post a Comment