Monday, September 24, 2018

Parenthood: Week 285 – Firsts And Batman

Firsts
It feels like we are running out of “firsts” with Ethan.

Now that we only have a little bit more than a month in the first year of Ethan’s life, new experiences seem to be running out. Yes, I know this is preposterous since there are many first for him beyond the first year, but there’s something about the first year of life, that cycle of the seasons and events that are really special.

The most recent first that we experienced with Ethan was going apple picking. Yes, it isn’t logical to spend an hour driving to a place where you pay a premium price for apples and the opportunity to do someone's else’s job. It’s a tradition that I experience first with my wife’s family, and while illogical, I have grown to love sharing this tradition with my boys.

It’s not like Ethan really understood what was going on or was actively involved with the apple picking activity, but it was a nice to share this tradition with him, Diana, Ollie and Buffy.

With the end of the first year on the horizon, reflection starts to set in and the journey that we’ve taken together in the past year comes to mind. While there were huge events that happened in the first year of Ollie's life (e.g. buying a house and moving in). The last year of our lives with Ethan wasn’t any less significant.

There will be time enough to process all that has happened. Right now more than anything I feel blessed to have Ethan in my life.

BATMAN
Ollie is really into The Lego Batman Movie. I saw this movie on a plane and was really impressed with it. I’ve been a Batman fan all my life. The latest films that featured Batman were clearly not intended for young kids so I was really glad to that this new Batman film was appropriate for kids Ollie’s age, and also fun for adults.

Last weekend Ollie got a double ear infection so it seemed as good time as any to watch The Lego Batman Movie with him. It was interesting to watch it with him. He didn’t really show much emotion when he was watching it. He was just taking it all in and processing it. I checked in with him a couple time to see if he wanted to keep watching, and he always replied with a soft, “yes.”

It was only after repeated viewings and much discussion did he start laughing at the jokes and express feelings of tension and worry that reflected the events of the film.

Ollie’s officially hooked. I got him a book about the film, he looks at constantly. He wants to talk about it all of the time, and I’m excited to share my love of Batman with Ollie. I’m grateful that somebody remembered that most of all superheroes should be for kids, and that superhero films should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment