Friday, November 15, 2019

Year 10: Week 11 - Through The Years

In my role as a music teacher, I see my students for less time across the course of a week than the classroom. However, I get to be from 3rd to 8th grade. And they are part of my life as members of our school community from when they enter in JK and leave our school as high school seniors.

From their time with me in 3rd grade until they leave me in 8th grade, I witness amazing growth. Some facets of their personality come through over time, others persist, and some evolve. Sometimes they meet my expectations over the years, and other times they surprise me in ways that and inspire me.

These changes are markers of time, a reminder of our purpose as teachers, and a wonderful thing to witness. Some students are aware that I’m part of their lives over the years. They enjoy revisiting me, ask me how my family is going, an savor our relationship as it evolves over the years. I enjoy when older students reminisce about something we did in a class together. Sometimes it’s a memory that I share, but often it’s a moment that has left my memory but brings the student great joy.

Other students as less aware of the nature of our longitudinal relationship. I take the student’s lead in these situation as it is important for some students to feel space from me as a teacher. I have at times reminded students of how I have watched them grow up over the years, and how proud I am of their growth.

Many memories of students I keep to myself as they bring me joy and pride. I let these thoughts come to me when I get to watch these students do amazing things. Because it is often how they have grown that adds a level of pride that is unique to my perspective.

The seeds we plant as teachers sometimes come to fruition in a couple months. Sometimes things bloom in a couple of years. Many times the seeds that we plant grow in our students in ways that we cannot observe years later. Our greatest work leads to growth that no one can witness and often times is not known by the individual.

When I meet my 3rd graders for the first time in the beginning of the year, it is a wonderful moment of joy. I remember performances I saw them do in grades earlier. I see their eyes and feel their presences in the classroom space that we share.  Most of all, I feel the excitement of the journey ahead.

It’s not my journey. I am one small part of their lives. I work with hope that my time with them will enrich their lives, for I know that our time together has enriched mine. It is sharing their lives over the years that bring meaning to my work, and changes my life, for the better, and for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment