Ethan wanted animal crackers at 1am. So, I got up, pulled him out of this crib, and brought him to our guest room. He actually settled down pretty quickly, and waited for me to grab him a snack and something to drink. Half awake, I sat on the guest bedroom bed, waiting for Ethan to finish his snack.
After a couple minutes he walked over to me signaling that he was done with his snack and that he wanted me to cuddle him. I pulled Ethan into my arms and cradled him in my arms. I started playing the “Ethan Opera” playlist on my phone, and after an Aria, a duet, and an instrumental intermezzo, Ethan was back asleep. I carefully put him in the portable crib we had set up in the guest room.
BAND-AID!!
I initially thought Ethan was hurt, but no I realized quickly, he simply wanted a band-aid. Ethan got a scrape on his knee a couple days ago and got obsessed with these Mickey Mouse band-aids. Even though he had absolutely no need for a band-aid, I’ve been giving in and just putting them on his knee to make him happy. Now, at 3:30am, he was demanding for a band-aid, not for the knee that was previously injured, which already HAD a band-aid on it but for his other leg. Too tired to argue or debate with him, I got him another Mickey Mouse band-aid put it on his knee.
Ethan went back to sleep in his crib, quicker than before. He slept peacefully for a couple hours until 5:30 when he asked to cuddle in bed with me. Too tired to argue, I pulled him into my bed and cuddled him close to me. I was tired, but I still pulled him close, glad that in all of the chaos of the world, I could make him feel safe.
*****
Lucas is doing amazing. He's a little bit more than 4 months old. His smile which was once challenging to catch lights up his face almost every time I look at him. Lucas has developed the cutest baby laugh and he wonderful little chirps and murmurs. Like with other babies, as his head is growing bigger his hair is seeming to thin. At the same time his hair is getting longer and it’s growing into cute little curls like Ollie had when he was a baby.
Lucas’ cheeks are getting beyond chubby, and he is growing wonderfully. He rolls over onto his stomach pretty consistently, though sometimes he gets stuck and needs help rolling onto his back. It’s super cute.
The good part about this crisis is that Lucas’ naps are not interrupted by drop offs and pick-ups, and that he has all of us around him all of the time. He learns by watching his brothers and us around the house. All of us have more time to play with him in our own ways. Buffy sits close to him and lets him grab her fur. Ethan tries to cuddle with him and lays on top of him. Recently he wanted to share his toys with Lucas so he just piled them on top of him. Ollie sat down next to me earlier this week and asked to hold Lucas. I placed Lucas in his arms and he carefully kissed him on the forehead. I am so proud of how Ethan and Ollie take care of their baby brother.
Lucas is hope, and he’s light. He’s an important reminder that the best thing we can do for each other is to share our time, love, and attention. Lucas doesn’t want any toys, or even to go anywhere outside of the house. He just wants to know that we are with him, and that he is loved.
No comments:
Post a Comment