Monday, November 2, 2020

Parenthood: Week 395 – 11/2/20, The Night Before

Dear my sons, 

The past four years have had some of the most beautiful moments in my life. 

Ollie, I watched you grow from a toddler into a school-aged child. We danced together, sang together, and explored the world together.  You learned to read, write, and manipulate numbers. More importantly, you have learned how to be more empathetic, to show love, and know what it means to be loved. 

Ethan, you came to us full of determination and love. Your early life was full of the new challenges of understanding how to best serve you as parents with your hearing loss. In those moments of feeling lost, our hearts filled with more love for you. Watching you grow up into a toddler, full of love, passion, and joy has enriched our lives in ways that we never imagined, taught me to be a better human.  

Lucas, every single time I check on you before I go to sleep at night, you take my breath away. I reach down and touch your little hand, and then I play with the curl of your hair. I hold my hands to my chest as I gaze at you, barely being able to handle the wonder that is you. Your giggles, your curiosity, and your smiles always warm my heart. It's impossible to have a bad day with you in my life. 

In the past four years, your mom and I have been blessed with meaningful work. Our work in education reflects our values, has brought challenges that have helped us grow as professionals, and given us the flexibility to be present in your lives. While there are always challenges in balance our work/life schedule, our jobs have allowed us to be there for the critical points in your lives and when you needed us the most.  

We have had an incredibly blessed and privileged life these past four years. You, as part of our family, have brought challenges that made our life meaningful. We have overcome all of these tribulations with our friends and family's support and with you as our inspiration never to give up.  

For many people worldwide, these past four years have been some of the most challenging times in their lives. The Presidency of trump has caused needless and gratuitous immeasurable pain and trauma. The COVID-19 pandemic only heightened this. Even though we have provided you a warm and loving household during this time, the threats to our family's safety and trump' and his supporters questioning our family's right to exist have put a shadow over these past four years.  

Your mom and I engaged in this election because of the threats to our family and others' pain. We are all connected, and we all have to give more and do better for each other. This what makes us good. This is what brings meaning to our life. This is love. 

It's that love that makes us fight for a better future and imagine a world where our leaders also demonstrate kindness in your hearts.  

It has been a tough couple of years, and these past couples of months have been challenging. Your love and spirit have sustained us. I will forever be grateful for how you have made these four years beautiful and meaningful during this difficult time in our country.  

I am so proud of all of you. I am proud to be your father, and at this moment, thinking about all of the amazing people who fought for a better tomorrow these past four years, I am proud to be an American.

- Dad
Let them say of me,
I was one who believed.
In sharing the blessings I received,
Let me know in my heart.
When my days are through,
America, America I gave my best to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment