Friday, September 3, 2010

The Purple Reaction-Year Three

The Purple reaction has been one of the greatest adventures I’ve embarked on.

When I first considered starting a blog in November 2008, it seems like a blogging was the most self-indulgent activity on the internet. Who I am to presume that my thoughts are SO important that people would actually care to read them?

I went ahead anyways, decided not to dwell on other’s perceptions of my blog as an ego exercise and jumped in. I wanted to create a look at music combining the academic analysis that is usually reserved to classical music to popular music. Most of all I wanted to create a source of positivity on the internet, a celebration of the art in our lives and the world we live in.

This blog has always been personal from describing being dumped in my first post (“Since U Been Gone”), to my mother (“The Best Day”) and of course my wife (“The Luckiest”). I did this for myself as a way to document my thoughts and feelings but also in an attempt to help all of you relate music to your own lives.

It hasn’t been all about music though. I couldn’t resist writing about my encouter with deep friend bacon as my first non-music blog post. There’s been other subjects like TV Shows (Jon & Kate Plus 8  and Teen Mom), politics (What It Means To Talk About Politics) and of course Buffy my dog. (which are regularly my most read posts).

I haven’t gotten to my original plan of turning this blog into a newspaper column and while this is something I’m interested in the future, I’ve love the freedom and the format of writing a blog. Some of it is simply my love of writing, but it’s also the connections I get to make with readers. Whether it’s in person, e-mails or comments.  I feel blessed to have readers and it blows my mind to think that there are people who actual enjoy what I’m doing.

That all being said, there are some changes coming to this blog. This Fall I’m starting a new job at a fantastic school and this blog will not be able to take up as large part of my life and it has for the past two years. Instead of three posts a week I will scale down to two posts on Monday and Friday. Instead of a full post on Wednesday I will post a clip of something for you to enjoy, a music video, interesting speech or a movie trailer.

I hope you will continue to join me as I continue to explore the wonder and beauty of this beautiful world we share. Thank you for reading my blog whether it’s every post or once a month.

It means the world to me to share what I love with all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment