Monday, February 7, 2011

Buffy Vs. The Snowpacalypse

This is my tenth year of living in Chicago. We have snowstorms every year, often multiple ones a year. The local news seems to build every single one up like it’s going to be the end of the world. This time they weren’t too far off.

Whatever you want to call it “The Snowpacalypse,” “Thundersnow” or my favorite “The Snowstorm of O’11” (I’ve decided I will always refer to years as the O’something), this storm really was a doozy.

My wife, Diana, sat on a Metra train (our commuter rail) for two hours, waiting for it to get going during the storm. She waited on three trains packed with people and through several rounds of technical problems (switch freezing, signal failure) before the trains got off.

I drove home in whiteout conditions on Lake Shore Drive and luckily got home before the madness of it getting shut down and people abandoning their cars. And Buffy, well, she seemed to handle it the best out of all of us.

I got home around 4:45 after my 20-minute commute took almost an hour and a half. I took Buffy out for her to do her business, and while it was a blizzard, it wasn’t that bad. She did her little excited trot, shoved her face deep into snow drifts and seemed to be completely unconcerned about the raging storm.

Toward the end of the walk, the wind started to pick up. Turning the corner to walk back to our condo, a strong wind almost flattened me. Combined with stinging snow, the wind was blinding. Holding up my arm in an attempt to block some snow from my eyes, I noticed Buffy looking straight ahead into the wind. Before I could get her to turn around, she barreled straight down the sidewalk.

The wind plastered down her hair so she resembled more a torpedo than a dog. Her narrow snout leading up to her shoulders seemed to cut straight through the wind. Before I knew it we were at the end of the block and at the entrance to our condo. This little twelve-pound dog just walked straight into 40-mile-per-hour winds in blinding blizzard and at the end of it looked up at me like, tail wagging, looking like we just played some kind of fun game.

The walk later in the evening was even more intense as the snow and wind picked up. Again, Buffy was undeterred, did her business and came in without trepidation.

First thing Wednesday morning, Buffy and I were the first ones out the front door. The door was stuck behind a huge snowdrift. We wrestled it open and it opened about 6 inches, enough for Buffy to go out and do her business.


Through Wednesday morning, the storm still brewed and as much as Buffy could handle being out in it, Diana and I couldn’t. So we waited until the afternoon to take Buffy out and explore. As you can see in this video, the snow that went up to her shoulders didn’t really bother her as she played joyously in the winter wonderland.



I’ve always thought that Buffy in snow was hilarious. The way that she jumps into snowdrifts, chasing snowballs, and goes insane with joy when the white stuff falls.

What I learned about Buffy in this snowstorm of the century is that she is one tough dog.  I've always believed that the people in your life should be the people admire.  The strength and fearlessness of my little girly-bear during this storm is something I truly admire about my Buffy.


No comments:

Post a Comment