Friday, April 13, 2012

Would You Go With Me by Josh Turner

“Would you like to go out with me?”

This is one of the hardest questions I’ve ever had to ask. The funny thing is that I’ve only had to ask this question once when I wasn’t sure of the answer and that was to Diana. I didn’t go out on many first dates because most of them were put together through circumstance or the girl asked me out.

 I remember trying to change the wording to make it seem less formal (“you want to hang out sometime?”) but the meaning is the same. Believe it or not, the first time I asked, Diana said no. She was busy dealing with some stuff and her rejection wasn’t a reflection of her feelings on me. I didn’t know that at the time, so I kept trying.

As most people would advise, our first date was meeting at a public place like a restaurant. Slowly the degree of trust worked up to a point where went on adventures into Chicago and day trips up to Wisconsin.

Now besides work we go together to almost everything we do. Whether it’s something that is for both of us like going to the library or accompanying Diana on a trip to Walgreens, we go with each other. We go together. We don’t have to, it’s just nice because having her with me even with the most mundane errands turns it into an adventure.

Josh Turner’s “Would You Go With Me,” is about asking somebody out not just for a date but for life. It’s about sharing the experiences, as unpredictable as they can be and being okay with going wherever with your partner just as long as they are there with you.


Turner continues the grand country tradition of Baritone singing. Probably the most notable country singer to sing in a low voice is Johnny Cash. While most male mainstream male pop singers sing in a high tenor voice like Justin Timberlake, country music is filled with low singing legends.

Straining through high notes creates a great sense of desperation and drama in music, which fits a lot of pop and soul music. While people who sing high with good training don’t need to strain to hit higher notes, many people who can easily sing high notes often make it sound like they are reaching.

The thing about singing low is that you can’t really force it. Low range is limited while the high vocal range can be expanded through training. To get good low tones you have to be relaxed.  The sound that great low voices like Turner expresses relaxed and laid back feeling. Turner does a nice job of keeping this feeling as he moves up to his tenor range during the chorus.

Along with a beautiful Mandolin, banjo and guitar backing, “Would You Go With Me,” quickly sets a mood that is relaxed like an endless Sunday afternoon but gently flowing like a stream through a forest.

Turner asks his love is she will go with him through moments of excitement “streets of fire, “ and experiences of uncertainty “would it be okay if I didn’t know the way.” He speaks about optimism “could you not look down forever?” and the freedom they can experience together. In the center of this this song is a simple confession of love with a simple question.   While the song never provides an answer the feeling of the song does and you know that he is asking her this question in middle of a journey she is happy to go on with him.

Diana, in my life, is knowing that there will always be someone to go with me if I need it and even when I don’t. It’s security and it’s trust. It’s something that is important, something we all need. There are time when I hesitate to go somewhere with Diana.  Here’s the thing, sometimes I regret not going with Diana but I never regret going along with Diana.

Be brave, ask someone to go with you and next time somebody you care about asks you to go with them, put down whatever you are doing and go. You never know what great adventures await you because you are spending time with someone you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment