Wednesday, December 12, 2012

What the "Hallelujah Chorus" can mean.

Today I led of a soprano sectional in preparation for a mass performance of the "Hallelujah Chorus."  Before starting this group of about seventy 7th-12th grade students I tried to explain to them the point of what we were doing:
One of things that I love about music is how the personal meaning we find in music extends beyond the artists intention.  Handel wrote this song to glorify and celebrate the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.  For those of you who are Christian, Handel's intention is meaningful to you, but as someone who is not Christian like myself, it's not meaningful to me in this way. 
It's like "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" by Taylor Swift.  I don't listen to this song and think about breaking up with someone.  I think about one time when I was making cookies with my wife when this song was playing. 

What we are creating here, the meaning we are connecting to this song is centered on how it feels to work on this great piece of music and feel the sense of community that comes from performing music with each other.
So let's get to it, here we go. . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment