Friday, August 30, 2013

Year 4: Week 0 - Looking Foward

Year 1 was an adventure. I had never taught at this school and it seemed like every week I was experiencing something for the first time.

Year 2 was a challenge. I knew the scope of the year, which comforted me but also made me feel stress, as I knew what was coming up next.

Year 3 was time to grow up. For the first time I taught at a school for a third year. No longer could I claim the guise of a rookie teacher. At the end of year I got confirmation that I was truly part of this school community when I was awarded tenure.

Year 4 is going to be something different all together and I’m not sure how it’s going to pan out.

I still love my school and I love my job, but my experiences with my son Ollie and my wife these past couple months have shown me that my priority, what’s most important to me in my life, is my family.

I’ve always felt that my family was central in my life but before Ollie, it was easier to spend more energy focusing on work. I still get into a great work mode, but at the back of my mind, I’m thinking about my son.

I believe that the best way to take care of another person is to take care of yourself and the best way to love someone is to love yourself. Enjoying my time at school and challenging myself to grow is not only a financial contribution to my family but it’s also a way that I can take care of my own needs socially, professionally and philosophically.

The challenges are laid out in front of me. I’m taking days off for my paternity leave this fall. I have new teachers that I’m working with along with a new principal. These professionals can help me in my job with fresh perspectives. However at the same time I need to help them get to know what I do and help guide them through the scope of the year.

Then there’s the role of co-music department chair, which I’m sharing with the previous department chair. I’m looking forward to helping serve my colleagues in this capacity but I’m also nervous about situations I’ve never dealt with and conversations I’ve yet to have.

When I think about school, I’m excited. I’m looking forward to getting to know my kids and the process of putting together great musical experiences for my students and the school community. More than that I can’t wait for the little moments that make the struggles of teaching worth it and the energy from my students that keeps me going.

Year 4 is going to be fun, confusing, challenging, exacerbating and full of moments that I'll struggle to accept and memories that I hope I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment