Monday, February 8, 2016

Parenthood: Week 139 – Super Bowl L

7:27 a.m.
Ollie let us sleep in. As we heard him call to us through the wall that our beds share, I groggily said, "good morning."  Some mornings, Ollie wants to jump right out of bed, other mornings he wants to stay in his crib and read some books and today like many mornings lately, he asked for Diana.

9:15 a.m.
“Ollie, is this a pants or shirt?” With some leading questions, Ollie helped us sort the laundry in the den. He throws socks into a stack and attempts to rearrange clothes that are inside-out (though most of the clothes that he does this with are actually outside-out and he’s making them inside-out). At a certain point, Ollie sits in the middle of the pile clean clothes pulls armful of clothing into this arms and he happily rocks back and forth.

Apparently I did the same thing when I was his age.

10:10 a.m.
Michaels. Diana had to pick up some craft stuff for her classroom and Ollie was short on some art supplies. At the endcap of one of the aisles is a display with small animal and fantasy figures. Ollie picks up each figure and asks me what each one is?

Ollie finds some rubber spiders and other bugs. He hesitates to touch them but giggles whenever he reaches out and feels the little rubbery hairs on the bugs.

12:30 p.m.
Tacos. After a trip to the mall we sit down to a lunch of tacos. Sometimes we let Ollie work on his own to feed himself and sometimes we just feed him. With tacos, I choose the latter. Ollie happily ate the taco that I fed him and then asked to have some do Diana’s taco. After weeks of teaching Ollie how to leave the table politely, Ollie asked, “can I be excused?” We applauded him for asking nicely and Diana helped him down from the table.

4:10 p.m.
Grocery shopping. As I carried Ollie out to his car, he screamed “I want mommy come too!” I was already feeling stress about hitting the grocery store right before the Super Bowl and Ollie’s screaming wasn’t helping. I tried playing some of Ollie’s favorite songs, and talking to him, but nothing was helping. When we finally got to the store, I asked Ollie, “are you okay, do you need anything?” Ollie then immediately stopped crying and happily chirped, “No, I’m okay.”

And yes, the grocery store was insane.

7:58 p.m.
Crying. I hate listening to Ollie cry himself to sleep, but sometimes that’s what happens. Diana was very patient with putting him down but Ollie wanted more and it was time for him to go to sleep. After hearing him cry for a couple minutes I walked in and asked him is he wanted a “bonus kiss.” He was finally quiet and Ollie whispered “yes.” I leaned down and gave him a kiss. “Bonus hug?” Ollie asked as he stood up, and I reached down and gave him a hug. Ollie then cuddled up on his pillow, I lay his blanket over him and said goodnight.

And no, we didn’t watch the Super Bowl, but it was still a pretty awesome Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment