Monday, May 22, 2017

Parenthood: Week 205 – Why?

Momma always had a way of explaining things so I could understand them.
- Forrest Gump
I’ve looked forward to being the kind of parent like Forrest’s mother who always had a way of making the world make sense to his children. For the most part, I do a pretty good job. I know a fair amount or random trivial, but I don’t know everything and I’m not afraid to admit that to Ollie. There have been multiple times when we’ve looked up names of dinosaurs together or obscure Star Wars characters that show up in his picture books.

The other day, we were in bed reading a book and we had a short black out. Ollie asked me what happened, and I explained that the electricity went out. Ollie asked me what electricity was and I started to explain but realized that I had no idea what I was talking about. I thought of talking about AC/DC the rock band but I kept on point and told him that we would look it up later.

The next day, I spent ten minutes online trying to figure out how to explain electricity to Ollie. It still wasn’t clicking and then it hit me: The Magic School Bus. Ollie has been really into these books and television show lately and they had a book on electricity.

We went to the library and checked out our eleventh Magic School Bus book. I sat down and read it to him in the library, at home, and read it on my own once. Yup, I still don’t get it, but Ollie seemed satisfied by the explanation in the book. Mission accomplished.

I love that Ollie asks "why."  Yes, it can annoying on rare occasions but I worked to embrace this because it is a way that Ollie is trying to explore and understand the world around him. I want Ollie to cherish and be proud of his curiosity and get positive feeling from asking why as opposed feelings of shame.

I can’t be like Forrest’s mom. The world is too big. There’s too much that he will and does experience that I do not and often cannot understand.  It is exactly this reason that I feel so glad that he continues to ask questions.

I love learning and I have my interests that push me to explore parts of the world of my choice. Ollie brings me to places and pushes me to explore parts of the world that interest him that sometimes I have no desire to look into on my own.  I love being a parents means having a person in my life who doesn’t always share my interests but through his wonder inspires me to look beyond my own curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment