Small Sign
It was a small but powerful moment. Sarah Sanders tried to move on from journalist Hallie Jackson’s line of questioning, by giving another reporter a chance to ask a question. Jordan Fabian responded when Sanders went to him with, “Hallie, go ahead.”
Journalist in the White House press corp need to be aggressive and self-serving. They have their own audience they are trying to report to, and individual stories they are trying to write. This is part of their job. It was a logical strategy for Sanders to use to get out of Jackson’s follow-ups. Throw it to another reporter and move things along. I wouldn’t have thought him as being bad or complicit if he took the opportunity to ask a question. However, Fabian, thought differently. Instead of putting forward his own question, he threw it back to Jackson.
Men are socialized to take over conversations. Studies show that men interrupt women far more than vice-versa. And when men interrupt women, women are far more likely to let them. Sander’s strategy reflects how many conversations in our culture occur with men taking the lead, and women being cut off, but it didn’t work this time.
I don’t know Fabian’s motivation. Maybe his question was going to be what Jackson was asking Sanders. Maybe it was solidarity with a fellow journalist, maybe it was something deeper, or maybe it was as Fabian explained professional courtesy. Regardless of his motivation, it was a wonderful moment of solidarity, of decency, and feminism.
Sisters
I don’t pay much attention to professional sports, and I have never really cared about the ESPYS. The idea that athletes in our culture need more recognition feels absurd. Professional athletes make some the highest salaries in our economy, and their accomplishments are much lauded, and very public. However there are times, and moments when American sports culture goes deeper, and speaks to something relevant, powerful, and essential to the progression of our morality.
The presentation of the ESPYS Arthur Ashe Award for Courage is presented to representatives for the 'sister survivors' who spoke out against sexual abuse by their former team doctor was one those moments.
The scale was staggering, they just kept coming onto stage, and my heart ached imagining all of their pain and suffering. It was worse knowing that this wasn’t even all of victims. I had anger towards those who knew and did nothing. I was in awe of the strength of these women to come forward. I was amazed by the courage these women had to walk up onto that stage and be visible. I was frustrated that we had gotten to this point. I was excited for the future to see and feel the positive impact that these amazing people would have on our culture. And this moment strengthened the responsibility that comes from my own male privilege to make our world a better place for women.
I am looking forward to watching the American women gymnastics team at the next Olympics more than I have every looked to watching any sports team or sports event in my entire life. These athletes are part of this story, and their triumph will not be in whether or not they get a medal, it will be in their dignity and strength.
No comments:
Post a Comment