Friday, July 24, 2020

How I Came To The Work – Part 7: The Gatherings

I love going to diversity conferences, institutes, seminars, symposiums, and summit. There are a lot of different names for these gatherings. I’m talking about events where people who are interesting in doing work around diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) come together to learn, and share. Sometimes these events include hundreds of people and sometimes under fifty people. I’ve been to ones that were just for people of color, and other ones that included people who identified as white.

The make-up of the attendees depends on the goals of the event and the mission of the organization behind the events. I’ve been to gatherings that included only leaders in diversity work, and other ones that were just for teachers. I went to a seminar last summer that included people outside of education, which where I met two incredible people who worked for Planned Parenthood.

Some of these events have happened at schools, hotel ballrooms, and I recently did an institute online.

What do I love about these events?

What I learn
These are the spaces that I have the learned the most about issues around DEI. More than books, documentaries, articles, and podcast, it’s these spaces that have taught me about the true nature of America. It is these spaces that I have learned about privilege, the myth of meritocracy, white supremacy, how to see racism in every facet of our culture, the origins of racism, systems of oppression, false dichotomies, the patriarchy, the difference between gender and sex, toxic masculinity, racial identity development, white fragility, systemic racism, self-care, and more.

The Leaders
The facilitators, speakers, and leaders of these events are inspiring, incredible, and courageous. Dedicating your life to DEI is very difficult. Hearing these leaders speak, and working with them has given me so much hope for the future of our country. Their stories enrich my understanding of the human condition, their expertise create spaces where people can be venerable, proud, and caring, and their work is changing our society for the better. These people are a part of a proud tradition of advocates, researchers, and scholars who are fighting for the freedom of all that includes Frederick Douglas, Angela Davis, and Grace Lee Boggs.

The People
Around tables, during breaks, standing in line for food, and over meals I’ve met some wonderful people at these events. These are spaces when I’m often not the minority. Most of the time, there are more people of color in these spaces than white people, and my world view is validated by those I meet. Generally, people come to these events with kindness, a willingness to listen, and are really interested in what I have to say. Feeling alone in crowds is normal for me. I’ve often the one of the only Asian-Americans in a group, or one of the only men who wants to talk about destroying the patriarchy, However, at these events, I feel a sense of community and belonging. I’ve met smart, determined, proud, and courageous people all across America who are doing the work, and are not giving up. Knowing that they are out there, believing in me, as I believe in them and doing the work alongside me gives me strength, and hope.

I am very aware of the privilege I enjoy that has allowed me attend such wonderful events.  This is why it is so important for me to use the power that the events have given me to benefit my school community, myself, and my family.  I look forward to continuing to enter these spaces, and contribute as I receive and show up for others as they have shown up for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment