Monday, July 6, 2020

Parenthood: Week 378 - Hamilton & Me

Last week, I posted this message on my Facebook wall in reference to a new video of Phillipa Soo performing “Helpless” with the cast of Hamilton on The Tonight Show:
When I watch Hamilton I see a future for my children.

My children's racial identity is something I am continuing to process. There's more that I don't know, than I am certain of when I think about how this facet of their identity will effect their future.

When I see Phillipa Soo perform, I see a someone who shares a biracial identity with my children. Despite the challenges that this part of her identity has brought into her life, she is an incredible singer, and an amazing artist.

There was a way for her, which proves that there IS a way for my children. This is why this video made me cry.

Then towards the end Alex Lacamoire, the music director for Hamilton appears with a melodica, and it hits me again.

Lacamoire was diagnosed with hearing loss in both ears at a young age and he continues to use hearing aids in his daily life. Just like my son Ethan, his hearing disability is part of his identity. Lacamoire is a reminder that Ethan's disability doesn't have to limit his dreams, and that he can continue to bring beauty into the world.

Loving Hamilton is embracing the value of diversity and inclusion, and expressing that my children have a place in this world. I hope you enjoy the show.
There are so many wonderful memories of my life in the past five years that include Hamilton. Ollie singing “My Shot,” in the car while holding a Maui toy, the indescribable joy with my mom, when Jin Ha, an Asian-American, walked out on stage as Aaron Burr, and waking up with Ethan in my arms after a long sleepless night to “Dear Theodosia,” playing on my phone as an alarm clock, and looking down at my sleeping boy, and feeling like the luckiest.  And of course taking Ollie to see Hamilton this past fall and watching his reactions was one of the greatest joys in my life.  Ethan now is requesting Hamilton as Ollie did when he was younger, and it's cute beyond words. 

Hamilton for the past five years, has helped me understand my life, my ambition, my fears, and the fact that my true legacy is my children. This show reminded me that being proud and emotional about my children is important, and that there is so much more inside me now that I am a father. It gave a way, and a space to imagine the unimaginable which taught me to better understand the nature of tragedy and that every single day with my children truly is a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment