Lucas' life has been very different from Ollie's and Ethan's. Even though he wasn't born during the pandemic, I think of him as a pandemic baby; he was born only a couple of months before it hit. As a result, he has spent most of his life living in his pandemic. His world is filled with people wearing masks, a smaller village, and a lot of time at home.
Ollie and Ethan experienced things by age two that Lucas hasn't. Lucas has missed trips, family gatherings, live theater, group music class, and many other things. What he does have that Ollie and Ethan didn't was more time at home and two wonderful older brothers. Even though this doesn't really make up for what was lost, it's a meaningful benefit to Lucas's life.
Lucas is adorable. This morning, I found him in our bed, sleeping when I left for work. He had somehow managed to settle in the space between his two pillows with his arms up around the sides of his head. Because of the proportions of his body, the top of his hands barely reached the top of his head. It was super cute.
Last week, along with turning two years old, Lucas decided that he would talk more. He's been saying more sounds in the past couple of days, and it's wonderful. There is so much joy when he says something, and he can tell we understand what he is saying. He has a little growl which he learned from Ethan, but he also has a higher voice that is cute and gentle.
Lucas has entered the climb on every stage, so I'm having to pull him off the table more often and off of the top of the couch. His fast toddler walk is pretty close to a run. The best part is that he often provides his sound effects by screaming while he runs or making a motorboat sound with his lips when he moves quickly.
All my sons are special for different reasons. Ollie was first. I learned how to be a dad with him. Everything was new with him, and everything was an adventure. He's my sweet boy who changed my life forever. Ethan was the challenge. From his first diagnosis with hearing loss to the fact that he was challenging to put to bed tonight, he was the one who has required more. He has shown me that I have more to give, and I have so much to learn.
Lucas is my reminder. He reminds me to slow down and read a book with him. He reminds me of what Ollie and Ethan were like as babies, which warms my heart in moments of frustration. He reminds me that the simple things in life bring the most joy. And his smile reminds me that I am enough.
I'm looking forward to Lucas' life being more defined by a time after this pandemic. As he grows every day, I will cherish the milestones and the small moments, nd I can't wait to see the wider world through his eyes.
Happy Birthday, Lucas. Thank you for being my sunshine in the darkest of times.
No comments:
Post a Comment