If you asked me to list Lucas’ favorite activities, I would include playing with his brothers, reading books, watching television, and foraging.
Meals usually go something like this. First off, Lucas is often the first one to the table asking for food. Sometimes this means that he gets some kind of snack when I’m trying to get food on the table. During meals, Lucas works really hard at eating. He is the most into using utensils at his age than my other two sons when they were at his age. Since his brothers are sometimes light eaters, Lucas sometimes eats the best of my three children.
At some point, Ollie and Ethan are done eating and want to be excused. Diana and I are usually not done, so we stay at the table with Lucas. After Lucas is done eating or notices that his brothers are playing, Lucas will wave his hand frantically for his “all done” sign to get out of his high chair.
Then Lucas begins his foraging. As Diana and I are finishing our meals, Lucas will crawl up into his brother’s chairs and eat their dinner. Usually, it’s Ethan’s first, since he is the one who is most likely to have more food left on his plate. After eating Ethan’s food Lucas will climb down, go play with his brothers, and then a couple of minutes later, he will climb up and see if Ollie left any food on his plate.
Usually, we close the gate to our kitchen so Lucas can’t get in and go into the basement. However, Lucas manages to sneak into the kitchen when we don’t notice and go down the stairs in the basement. When he is down there he doesn't mess with Ollie’s Legos sets on display or the myriad of other toys that are down there. Instead, Lucas finds our shelves of food we store down there, grabs a bag of snacks from the boxes of snacks we buy at Costco, and brings snacks upstairs. This is how when I am trying to get something done upstairs or I’m playing with my other sons, I find Lucas pushing a bag of chips into my legs as he grunts at me.
Lucas is more subtle than Ethan. I mean there is nothing subtle about that one. The other day, I heard him yelling, and I mean loudly how he was going to be sneaky. This works to his advantage. This is how Lucas will end up watching television with a bag of Goldfish crackers. We don’t have a lot of rules in our house. The only one I really enforce regularly is that they have to eat at the table, and somehow Lucas manages to get food and eat it around the house.
Does Lucas get away with things because he’s the baby? Yup. I do try to keep him eating in his own place, but when he doesn’t, it’s hard to be stern with him. He’s really cute. Lucas will come up to Ollie's plate and I will pick up the plate and tell him to go to his own chair if he wants to eat. Then Lucas will look up to me with a sad face and start wrinkling his face up into a pout. Then I give him another stern look and he smiles at me, drops out of his chair, and walks to other side of the table to his own chair.
Lucas truly is the cutest of all the patooties.
No comments:
Post a Comment