Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Luckiest by Ben Folds Five

Last Monday, Diana and I celebrated our second wedding anniversary. As we've been entering our third year in marriage I can’t help but feel lucky that I have found Diana and have her in my life.



“The Luckiest” by Ben Folds Five is about this wonder of luck. Though this song initially songs like adult contemporary schmaltz, the profoundly intimate, revealing and honest lyrics elevate this song to a much higher level.

This song doesn’t feature great poetry or literary devices. Instead the words are stilted and stammering. However. this is exactly the reasons this song is so powerful. There is nothing harder than describing one’s feelings and the meandering thoughts perfectly reflect how we actually feel about love.

This song isn't about idealized love as Ben Folds sings in the first verse about not knowing where he was the day before he met his love.  All he know is that I get to see her every day and I feel lucky for that.  Ben Folds goes on to wonder if he was born at a different time and saw his love as a child, it’s an interesting thought. Would he make the same connection? It’s a question without an answer as he realizes that knowing one pair of eyes is what’s truly important.

The final verse is about a wife passing away a couple days after her husband. Folds acknowledges that this may be a strange way to express his love but he knows how that wife feels because he feels that way to and so do I.

What does it really mean to be lucky?

"Luck" is something that happens out of chance. More than that being “lucky” means that you did nothing to influences the outcome and because of this you did nothing to deserve this "gift."

Why do I get to find someone like Diana when there are so many lonely people out there who have work much harder than I to find that special someone? There’s no logic in that.

All I can do is make this “luck,” this “gift” mean something. I may not have done anything before meeting Diana to deserve her as a partner in my life but I’m going to take care of her and be the best man I can be for her.  This way when I die and I can tell whatever force put Diana in my life about the amazing life we shared together and he will be proud to have given me this gift.

 "I know that I am the luckiest."

No comments:

Post a Comment