Friday, August 20, 2010

Experiecing The Joy Of Painting WIth Bob Ross

To know Bob Ross is to know peace, happiness and serenity.

I’m talking about the guy with the ‘fro who hosted a painting instruction show on PBS called “The Joy Of Painting.” Yes, you heard me right, I’m dedicating a post to a THAT guy.



When my brother, Ed was in high school he started watching. I was in middle school at the time and got annoyed when I found that Ed was watching a painting show. After arguing with him and eventually giving up, I begrudgingly sat down to watch this guy paint. In retrospect, simply not watching television was of course an option but at the time I felt like I had to make a stand.

After about 10 minutes I was converted.

The late Bob Ross spoke with soft and warm affect of Mr. Rogers and painted with the same spirit and abandon Julia Child cooked with. As he magically created his world on canvas he softly encouraged the audience making us believe that we could create the painting as well. Like Child, he embraced mistakes as part of the creative process inspiring the audience to explore art without trepidation.



Everything he did was done with such peaceful joy, even when he did the fan-favorite, “beat the devil” washing his brush.



I love how he chuckles EVERY time he beats his brush. I seriously laugh every time he laughs in this clip.

Everything in Bob Ross' world was happy. He paints happy tree, happy houses and even happy little glaciers.



Ross explained when asked about optimistic demeanor: “That's why I paint. It's because I can create the kind of world that I want, and I can make this world as happy as I want it. Shoot, if you want bad stuff, watch the news."

Through his show Ross created a world where happy little things including all of us coexisted.  His show creating happiness and peace and inspires us all to paint the kind of world we want in my life.

Using Ross’ words that he closed each show wish: "I'd like to wish you happy painting, and God bless, my friend."

No comments:

Post a Comment