Monday, December 13, 2010

Buffy Being There For Me

Buffy is not the kind of dog that actively initiates physical contact.

Sometimes she does like when I get home from work, I’ll kneel down and she’ll run up and give me a lick on the face, but unlike other dogs I’ve met who will literally sit in your lap, Buffy waits for you to make the first move.

It’s not Buffy doesn’t like to be pet or snuggled. She is quite the cuddle bug.  When she's sleepy she is happy to have you sit close to her but when she's active it's a different story.  Buffy will make you chase her around the room for five minutes until you finally grab her fur and pull her towards you. Once you accomplish this, she will more often than not relax into your arms.  Whether standing or sitting unless you have a treat to offer her or a toy often she will to off if you reach to pet her.  This is a result of her favorite thing to do with other dogs which is to be chased by them.  

Knowing all of this makes what happened the other night that much more special.

Nothing really bad happened that evening I was just in a bad mood. One of the things I do when I’m feeling frustrated with things outside of my power is clean. It usually makes me feel better to take control of something in my life.

As I put things away Buffy came up and nudged a toy into my leg. Not really being in the mood to play I ignored her and continued to organize the room.

After about ten minutes I noticed that Buffy had left the room. I called out to her and there was no response. Usually this means that she is hiding in one her caves: underneath the coffee table or under the overhanging sheets at the bottom of our bed.

I checked under the coffee table and didn’t see her there as I turned towards the bedroom I saw her sitting up in the middle of the bedroom floor looking at me intently. I walked over to her and knelt down in front of her expecting her to dart way. Instead, she stayed right there.

I leaned forward and hugged her around her neck. I was no longer surprised at the fact that she was sitting so still. I just felt the frustrating melt out of myself. As I leaned back, she climbed gently into my lap she settled quietly in my arms.

It’s a funny thing when dogs do things like this, when they have these moments of friendship. You speculate and think about what they were thinking but you can never know for sure.

All I know is that Buffy decided for one moment to not make me chase her to be close to her and it was exactly what I needed at that moment to feel better.  

Thanks Buffy

1 comment:

  1. Love reading your blog, I'm a regular reader, beautifully written

    ReplyDelete