Friday, May 17, 2013

Year 3: Week 32 – The Best Part Of The Concert

Last night I stood in front of seventy band students and conducted them through an arrangement of “Some Nights,” by Fun that I arranged for them. This group combined the three middle school bands as well as the high school band. The song was awesome and the energy my students brought to their performance reflected the great hard the work they put into learning and rehearsing this song.

I feel incredibly proud of this performance and the work all of my students leading up to that moment, however this performance was not my favorite moment of the evening.

That’s one of the things I love about concerts. There’s all these moments that happen around a concert beyond a performance that really make nights like this for me special.

After we warmed up I talked to one of my high school students that I started on the flute two years ago. She is now in the high school band and I was looking forward to working with her again. As we sat catching up on things, she asked me why I chose to teach middle school students. As I explained middle schools’ students potential for greatness, I realized how much I missed teaching this student and I remembered back to starting her on the flute and teaching her how to hold the instrument.

Then there was the moment when I watched my 6th grade band students enjoy watching the 6th grade choir. The 6th grade choir performed an African piece of music, the 6th grade band students started moving to the music. I was initially concerned that they were being disrespectful, but they were genuinely feeling the groove. The applause that group of students gave the choir was genuine and heartfelt and made me really proud of the admiration and musical respect they expressed to their peers.

My favorite moment of the evening involved my 8th graders. This was a class of students I had known since they were in 6th grade. As a band we worked really hard to bond and learn how to work together as a team. We went through a lot of different challenges but through it this entire band bonded as a group that had become one of my favorite to work with.

Last night was the last time they were going to perform with me and as I watched them after they performed sitting the audience, I realized how much I was going to miss them. I was sitting on the left side of the balcony with my 6th graders and my 8th graders were on the far right. From my spot sitting with my 6th graders, I looked over to my 8th graders and saw them laughing, smiling and genuinely enjoying spending time with each other.  At that moment I felt proud and grateful to have had the opportunity to work with these amazing students. 

The performance was great but it was these moments that made the concert special for me and an experience that I will never forget. 

No comments:

Post a Comment