Monday, October 23, 2017

Parenthood: Week 227 – Dear Ollie, Love and The Coming Of Your Brother

Dear Ollie,

We’re almost to the point when your baby brother will be with us. This is a strange thing to say, because your baby brother has been with us for the better part of the last year, but he’s been inside of mommy. But trust me, it will feel different when your brother is on the side and you can see and hold him. While he’s always been with us, soon you will feel his presence in a very different way.

I don’t know if you have any worries about being a big brother. You seem more excited than anything else. You talk about wanting to teach him how to do things like walk and talk, and how you want to tell him about your Transformers. I also appreciate that you already have a plan when your baby brother poos. You have explained that you will yell loudly, “Mommy!! DADDY!!! The baby POOED!!!”

When the baby is with us outside of mommy, you will probably have some concerns. You brother will cry a lot, but don’t worry he’s not too sad. He will sleep a lot, but that’s okay, he need sleep just like you to grow and get stronger. While he’s not going to have a lot to say to you, and he will not respond to you much, he does hear and see you, and you are important to him.

One thing I want to reassure you of before he’s here is that while some things may change in your with your new baby brother, one thing will not. Mommy, daddy, Buffy, and all of your family will continue to love you more and more each day as we have your whole life. Your baby brother will not change that.

Your love is like a muscle, not a pie. With a pie you only have so much to give to the people you care about. With love, it’s like a muscle. Each time you express love, your ability and your capacity to love grows. Because every time you give a hug, you are also receiving love. In this way love gives you energy.  Love fills your spirit and in the end "the love you take, is equal to the love you make."

Yes, we’re all going to be tired when your baby brother is here. That doesn’t mean that we love you any less, it just means we are adjusting, and this, like all things shall pass. If you feel like that you need more from me, and my attention is with your baby brother, I promise that I will make sure to find time for you. I’m sorry if that means that you will have to wait sometimes.

The moments before I held you for the first time I was more scared, and more exhausted than I had been in my entire life.  However, when I held you in my arms, my capacity to care, to persevere, and to grow grew immediately. And I knew love and felt love like I never knew before. Your baby brother will have a similar effect on me and you.  We will both learn to love as we never have before.

Your brother never going to change the love we share between us.  Nothing can and nothing will.

You will always be my special little guy, I will always be proud of you, and I will always love you.

-Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment