My parents had visited when Ethan was born and my mom came a month later. Now, only a little time after my mom’s last visited, Ethan was back with my parents, but he was different now. He was smiling, he was cooing, and kicking and squirming in joy.

It’s hard for me to think of anything that makes my parents happier than their grandchildren. My mom and dad can just gaze lovingly at Ethan for a solid half hour, not be bored at all, and just enjoy his presence. They don’t need anything else. Sometimes when I’m cuddling Ethan, I get bored, and get out my phone, or I turn on the television. My parents never do this. The only reason they might grab a phone to take a picture of him.
My brother and his wife got to meet Ethan for the first time, and as I predicted, it was a truly wonderful to witness this meeting. Seeing them cuddle with my special little guy almost brought tears to my eyes. Matilda and Amelia met Ethan for the first time. Matilda was fascinated by Ethan and tried to touch him and stick her hand in his mouth (she's less than a year old), while Amelia, more focused on playing Ollie was cute in her greeting of Ethan, and very gentle with him.
Ollie and Amelia are closer together developmentally than they have ever been. They played really well together. They gave each other space when they needed space and listening to each other and taking turns with whatever games they came up with. We took both of them to a playground and Ollie wasn’t sure about climbing up a part of a playground equipment. I told him that Amelia could help him. Amelia heard this was gently told Ollie, “Ollie, I can help you,” and she did with patience and kindness.
Ollie looks up to Amelia so at the playground when she came running up to my sister-in-law screaming in joy for a quick hug, Ollie did the same thing. It’s a wonderful to watch these two grow up together. I know that they will have rocky moments like they have in the past, but it’s great to enjoy these times as Ollie looks up to Amelia and all they want to do is run around with each other.
These four children are really special. Them being together for the first time felt wonderful. It was a great trip, one of the most memorable, and I feel blessed to have such a wonderful family.
No comments:
Post a Comment