Diana calls it his “Muppet-smile.” It’s when Ethan opens his mouth, his eyes, narrow slightly, and a gentle grin comes appears across his face.
This was a week of smiles, chuckles on the boarder of laughing, kicking, arms flailing about and progress sucking his thumb. While most of the time, Ethan just tries to cram his whole hand in his mouth, but he’s starting to get it. If he does get just his thumb in, the rest of his hand is open and he sometimes pokes himself in the eye.
Yes, it’s as adorable as it sounds.
Ethan is a delightful little baby. His bright eyes sparkle more than they cry. He reacts to smiles, and high-pitched greetings more and more each day. His little hands are beginning to grab hold of things that are important to him, clutching tightly onto our shirts as we try to put him down on his favorite elephant pillow.
He is at a great point when he is both adorably floppy but also starting to develop the strength to flip himself on his side and move his head independent. During chest naps, he now can move his head and push himself up. However, he doesn’t fully understood how his body works, so mild head butts when he hold him, and instances when he throws his head back do occurs, so you have to be careful.
Ethan adores Diana. He looks up to her with wonder, and awe. He knows when she is near, and often calms down when he is fussy in my arms, as soon as Diana holds him. There is a wonderful, and beautiful bond between them. Am I annoyed that he finds more comfort in Diana’s arms than mine right now? Sometimes, but mostly, I’m enjoying seeing the relationship between Ethan and Diana blossom. Seeing people you love unconditionally, loving each other completely is life-affirming, indescribable, and inspiring.
A couple days ago, I put Ethan on a playmat in the living room. Ollie was looking at his favorite Transformers book. I went to the kitchen for a minute and I heard Ollie start talking. I peeked out of the kitchen, and saw that Ollie had moved next to Ethan, and was telling him about the book. Ethan rolled over to the side to look at what Ollie was showing him, and for a wonderful, couple minutes, I watched Ollie being the great big brother, I know that he is and will continue to be.
Buffy has two beds. One in Ethan’s nursery, and one is in our bed room. Right now Ethan is still in a mini-crib in our bedroom and one of Buffy’s bed is right next to the mini-crib. When Ethan first came home, Buffy would sleep in the nursery away from where Ethan was sleeping. Every day for the past week, it has been different. I find Buffy at night settled in the nursery all by herself, and every morning, I find her on her bed right next to Ethan’s mini-crib, having moved closer to Ethan in the middle of the night. Sisterhood can be tough at times, and Buffy is doing a great job.
When I look into Ethan’s eyes, I’m reminded to savor the moment, to let time stop and be there for him. Holding him in my arms, even when he’s crying, is fulfilling, purposeful, and meaningful. The responsibility is a gift that motivates and focuses. There’s so much to cherish in each moment. There’s a magic, a spirit, that emanates from Ethan’s presence and enlightens my souls. It’s his tiny toes, the way he settles in my arms, his downy baby hair, and his adorable “Muppet-smiles.”
No comments:
Post a Comment