Monday, April 30, 2018

Parenthood: Week 265 - The Carrier

Holding a baby in a baby carrier can be really wonderful. It’s a way that a little one can feel close, and hugged, while freeing up your arms to do other things. For the most part, if you set it up right, it doesn’t really do a number on your back.

A good carrier transforms the wonderful experience of a chest nap into an upright position so you can be more productive. For some kids, in some situations, the only way that they can go to sleep is when they are in a carrier. Is not just a tool for out and about. Carriers are great in the home as well. For both of my boys, walking around the living room with them strapped on has gotten us through some rough nights.  (Our carrier of choice is the Ergobaby).

Now that we have two kids, the carrier has a new dimension of usefulness. When I’m by myself, I only have two hands. Ollie is pretty good at holding onto the stroller while we walk, and this works out just fine when we are going for a walk with Buffy. Going to the grocery store is another issue.

So yes, Ollie is on the big size for sitting in the grocery cart, but it works, and he doesn’t seem to mind. As long as he jumps as I lift him up, and I don’t have to deadlift him it’s not too hard to get him into the cart. This leaves me with Ethan. Some people stick the entire carseat into the grocery cart, but this leaves very little space for actual groceries.  So I went with the carrier last Saturday at Costco.

“I got this,” I thought to myself strapping Ethan to myself in the Costco parking lot. He squirmed as I dropped him into the carrier. As I tightened the straps he settled down. I got Ollie out of the car, and held his hand as we walked through the parking lot. After I lifted Ollie up into the shopping cart, I felt Ethan relax and the weight of his body snuggle into my chest.

As we walked around the store, Ethan would look up at me, and I’d nod my head down and kiss him and he would giggle.

Ollie asked me how many items were on our shopping list. I told him that there were eight. When we got to eight, and I was still putting things into my shopping, he asked, “why are we getting more things than what’s on our shopping list?” “Because, we are in Costco, and that’s what happens in Costco,” I responded.

As we were checking out, I noticed that Ethan was feeling warmer against my chest. I looked down and noticed that he had fallen asleep  I figured that his internal heater had turned on as he sleep, and it was fine.  Warmth when you are holding a baby close to you can sometimes be confused with wetness, so I reached into the carrier between Ethan and me and he seemed dry.

I somehow Tetris’ed all of the stuff I got at Costco into the car, and got the kids strapped in without waking up Ethan. As I walked around the side of the car, I noticed a spot, only the size of the top of pencil eraser, the unmistakable hue of baby poo. At this point, Ethan had woken up and was whimpering.

It wasn’t that bad of a blow-out. Besides a spot on my shirt and his pants, Ethan was fine. His onesie managed to be clean. It was a lot to clean and in the awkward changing table that was the passenger seat of the car I managed to get it done.

And how did the carrier do in this situations.  Well. . . you know another great thing about the carrier?
It’s machine-washable.

No comments:

Post a Comment