Friday, June 29, 2018

Can’t Let It Go: 6/29/18

NPR Politics podcast has a weekly feature in which each person on the show talks about one thing they can’t let go of political or otherwise. Sometimes it’s a songs, and sometimes it’s a special moments in the news. It’s been one of those weeks where so much has happened that it’s hard to process, so I’m going with the NPR approach and talk about a two things I can’t stop thinking about this week.

NPR Politics Podcast
This podcast is the best new source I have found about politics. It features reporters who are experts in the field. The reports are well-researched and the discussions are balanced and nuanced. There is a level of gravity with topics that are important, but they never use scare tactics.

Like other podcasts, the success of this show is about the people on the show more than the content. Great podcast have hosts that you enjoy listening to even when they get off topic. The group of reporters on the NPR podcast represents a wonderful diversity of gender, age, religious background, and race. NPR’s newest White House reporter Ayesha Rascoe, who is black, is fantastic.  She is featured as well as my favorite political reporter Asma Khalid, who is Muslim (she was on my 2016 list of people of the year).

Often there are episodes of this show in which the majority of the people (or all of the people) on the show are women. Veteran reporters like Nina Totenberg, mix with younger generations reminding every week that it’s not an “or” issue.  We aren’t talking about having diverse journalist “or” have high quality, work. NPR politics podcast prove every week, that you can have diverse journalist and have the best political reporting in America.

Sometimes I don’t want to listen to this podcast because the news is just too depressing. This week, when things were really dark, I just wanted to get away from it all, but I felt a responsibility as a citizen to stay informed.  And when I listened to the podcast this week and I heard these incredible professionals, doing this important work, I was glad that I came back to them. This group of journalist is hope, proof of progress, and has become essential in helping me process and understand what is happening in our country.

The Pop.
Senator Elizabeth Warren walks down the hallway with purpose and conviction. Her turquoise jacket makes her stand out among the other people looking on at the incredible protest bellow. What she was determined to do was to see American women in action protest one the most inhuman and heinous policies in modern American history. Her determination wasn’t about herself, but it was about seeing these women, witnessing this moment.



Sen. Warren looks down and watches with pride. She doesn’t do anything to call attention to herself. This isn’t her moment. Then something magical happens. Around 1:15, you can see people in the crowd start to shift their attention up, and point to Sen. Warren. The solemn chants, transforms into an enthusiastic, and joyful pop. Sen. Warren receives this adulation, cheering back to the protesters, take a moment to connect, and then leaves these incredible women to their work.

Tears came to my eyes as I was overwhelmed by a feeling of connection, community, and hope. It’s something I haven’t been able to let go, and I hope I never do.

No comments:

Post a Comment