We move through our days as teachers mindful of what we are required to do, thoughtful of the extra things that we could do, and mindful of how all of our actions lead us towards or away from where we envision ourselves in the future as educators. How our career evolves, and how we grow into and out of roles is dependent on so much more than our job description and expands into that work that is sometimes acknowledged, sometime not, and that is sometimes compensated for, and sometimes done voluntarily. It’s how we do our work and the things around our work that defines who we are as teachers, professionals and where stand as community members.
It’s a balance and a dance. One needs to makes sure that they are doing what they need for themselves. Doing more without going beyond what is expected without being overextended, and overly stressed out is a difficult balance. However, if there is not that extra piece, that effort that goes beyond what is on the contract, doors may not open, or even be available for you to approach.
In the energy that we put beyond, it is also important to not go so far that you become a doormat. When you are being taken advantage of because you never say “no” you may garner value, but not respect. So how do you do for your community and fulfill that need to be great without going too far?
Doing just enough never seemed to feel right because there was always more to do. One of the great things about being a teacher is that there is always work to be done, innovations to make. Teaching is truly a practice. It’s not a skill that can be achieved, it’s a skill that must be constantly honed and practiced in order to simply maintain a level of quality, let alone grow as an educator.
This approach extends into the school community. How a school operates can always be better. In partnering with others outside the classroom you find ways that you can have a voice that brings change that will benefit the school community. While this work may seem to take away from the work of the classroom, what I have found is that the more I do outside of the classroom for others, the easier it is to get support for the projects and innovations I seek to make inside the classroom.
There’s more I want to do at my school than I have time to do. While I may have gotten close in the past to overextending myself, I don’t think I’ve ever crossed that line. I think it may be because I have and have had mentors who have taught me how to say "no." And the things that I do extra beyond my teaching that I really enjoy and I find fulfilling. These are committees, positions, and projects that give me a broader view of my school, allow me to be part of important conversations and reenergize me for the work ahead.
This is my ninth year at school. The novelty of the what is “new” about this job has worn off. I feel that if I don’t explore and find new experiences at this school, the sometimes-repetitive nature of the work would wear me down. Sometimes you find ways in the classroom to keep things interesting as a teacher, and sometimes you have look beyond for that inspiration, the motivation and the energy to keep practicing at this thing we call teaching.
No comments:
Post a Comment