Lucas immediately lived his life as part of a family unit that was in motion. After the first couple weeks of his life, he was integrated into the family routines. Lucas accompanied Diana with all of Ethan and Ollie’s drop-offs and pick-ups. His naps and feedings had to be balanced with the needs and schedules of his brothers.
This was different for Ollie. He was born in the late spring, which meant that his early life was spent during my summer break. I had more time off, the only other child he had to contend with was Buffy. For Ollie this meant that in many ways our lives revolved around Ollie.
With Ethan and Lucas to even a further extent, I’ve felt some concern that their lives and routines had to take into account Ollie’s needs. At the same time, Ollie being the older child had to make compromises as well. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, however as parents, it’s something that is concerning.
One of the positives of the routines of Ethan and Ollie is that Lucas was able to have time away from his brothers. However, with the activities and stresses of school, Lucas didn’t necessarily get the best of Ethan and Ollie as they would sometimes come home from school tired and not at their best.
All of this has changed since the pandemic hit and we are all at home. The structures of the day are no longer requiring that Lucas to be in the car during naps. I’m around more so Diana can nurse Lucas without having to worry about Ethan or Ollie. The three brothers, well, they are around each other all of the time.
For Lucas, this is a wonderful thing. There is always someone to watch, as his brothers run around the house and play. Both Ethan and Ollie find time to play with Lucas, give him kisses and hugs throughout the day. It’s one of the most amazing things to see how much joy Ethan and Ollie get out of interacting with Lucas. Now that Lucas is smiling, he’s finally showing his brothers how much he loves them.
Lucas is able to get as much cuddles as he wants from me and Diana, and even though we are both working jobs, there is plenty kissing, huggles, and smiles in passing.
I am spending more time with Lucas then I would if I was working at school right now. That part of all of this truly is wonderful. It doesn’t outweigh the bad or the trauma that people all over the world are feeling. It’s more like a light in all the darkness. In the worst of times, we can be our best and bring to each love.
Lucas’ is living his best life, full of smiles giggles, brothers, and a doggie. I feel like I’m beyond lucky to have his spirit in my life.
Lucas is my beautiful little one, and I love him beyond words.
No comments:
Post a Comment