Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Parenthood: Week 428 - Holding Hands With Family

 “Ollie, hold hands as you cross the street.”

Without hesitation, he grabbed the hand of his cousin standing next to her. She held his hand firmly as they crossed the street and continued for a block.  Later, I saw another glimpse that I saw of their relationship. She was patient as they sat on swings next to each other. She gracefully pumped his legs as Ollie struggled to get his swing going. They both giggled together as I attempted to teach Ollie how to use his legs and shift his weight to get his swing moving.

Ollie told me a couple of days earlier that he was worried about seeing his cousin. He told me that he had to “prepare” to see her. I asked him what he meant. Ollie told me that he hadn’t seen her in a long time, and the last he talked to her was on Zoom, and it was weird. I assured him that everyone has weird experiences over Zoom and that she would be happy to see him.  When they saw each other for the first time in person after two years, it was a little awkward. Ollie stayed close to me as she waved at him.

He said “hi” softly, and they didn’t talk much. They didn’t know how to greet each other, but it didn’t matter because they knew how to be with and for each other. Soon after this encounter, they were playing as if no time had passed.

Later that morning at the park, I remember playing with Ethan, and I thought to check in on Ollie and his cousin. I looked around and saw them off in the distance, sitting under a tree and chatting. I wanted to go over and see what they were talking about, but I pushed away my curiosity and decided it was best to let them have this moment to themselves.

*****

As we walked into the Asian grocery store, Ollie was excited. We recently watched Wish Dragon, and he had heard some stories from Chinese culture on a podcast. 


 
This got him interested in trying starfruit and shrimp chips. I told him to ask my mom, his pó po, about what he wanted. She showed him the starfruit and picked out a couple for him. As we went deeper into the store, we approached the ready-made food area. Instead of having chicken salad, fried chicken, and cheese, they had Asian specialties like tonkatsu, hanging roast duck, and chicken feet.

My mom asked me if Ollie wanted anything. He nodded to me, yes, and my mom reached out her hand. Ollie went up to her, stood by her side, and explained all of the different kinds of food on display.

As I watched Ollie and my mom holding hands and looking at the food, I felt pride and gratitude. My mom wasn’t just explaining the food to Ollie; she was doing so much more. She was teaching him about his heritage and who he was as an Asian-American.  Later that day, when my mom prepared the starfruit for Ollie, she was giving him so much more than fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment