Music is a central part of my life. I listen to music every day, and I think about music all of the time. I have performed as a musician throughout my life, and I’m a music teacher.
I love music.
Music was central in building my self-confidence as a very shy child. Music helped me be social and connect with people, which was important as a person who sometimes can struggle to be social. And music has helped grows my emotional intelligence and is one of the reasons I am empathetic.
Parents want their children to have a full, happy, and beautiful life. One way parents do this is share with their children was has made their lives meaningful and joyful. While some parents go overboard and push too hard for their children to share in their interests, most parents simply want to shares what they love with the ones they love.
Ollie and Ethan did Kindermusik from a young age. I have many fond memories of them dancing around, playing with little shakers, and sharing the joy of music with little ones their age. Unfortunately, because of the pandemic, Ethan has stopped music class, and Lucas hasn’t had a chance to do music class yet.
We have musical instruments around the house. Sometimes they use them correctly like shakers. Other times a hand drum becomes a podium. Ethan loved the idea of using standing on a drum and pretending he was a conductor for a little while there. It was cute except for the fact he kept falling off the drum. Our piano is right there in one of our children’s play spaces, and they all have spent time exploring this instrument. Lucas can reach the keys of the piano from his pack and play. We put him in there when we need him to be safe when we can’t watch. He often stands up and reaches out and plays the piano when he is in there.
Music is often playing in the car and the house, and I watch music performances and videos with my children. Most of the time, they are exposed to what I’m into at the moment, so that’s why Ollie was a huge Hamilton fan when he was a toddler and why Ollie and Ethan are really into BTS right now.
Recently Ollie started violin lessons. He asked about it last year, but we decided to put it on hold with the pandemic.
I started violin lessons around six years old after my brother, who started around age three, taught me how to play the instrument. So the violin was a big part of my life as a child. It’s weird, I want my children to be musical, but I wasn’t sure about Ollie doing violin for some reason. I don’t know why, but I know that it’s been really wonderful watching Ollie grow as a violinist these past couple of weeks.
I practice with him. I get out my violin and go through the stuff he was taught in his lesson. I try not to be a “music teacher” when I work with him. I find myself having to bite my tongue and let him make his own mistakes, which is important for his growth. Ollie needs guidance to practice, but if I stop him every time he makes any kind of mistake practice time will become really annoying for him. Kids need to “play” music, and part of "play" is making mistakes. At the same time, I teach him some things every time he practices to empower him to grow. For example, I’ll guide him through working on one line of music at a time as opposed to starting at the beginning and going to the end repeatedly, which generally isn’t very productive. I try to point out specifics he is doing well and moments when he improves. It’s a new experience for me as a musician and a parent, and I’m enjoying it.
I don’t know how long Ollie will play the violin, but I hope that whatever time he spends on this instrument helps him better understand himself and helps him grow.
Now, Ethan is asking to play violin…
No comments:
Post a Comment