Here are six reasons why:
Senator Elizabeth Warren.
During the darkest day of the trump presidency, there were times that I wanted to give up on America. And every time I thought about feeling hopeless about the future of our country, I would read about Senator Warren persisting. As long as Senator Warren believed in America, so would I.
Senator Warren faces challenges in her work every day but keeps working because it is essential and meaningful. As long as she persists in her work, so will I.
Educators
I love spending time with educators. They are the best kind of people. Educators love children, and they love learning. They see the humor in children and also the wonder in their eyes. All of the people I respect the most in my life, including my parents and my wife, are educators. I want to be like them.
My Students
On Wednesday, I introduced my fourth graders to “We Shall Overcome.” After telling them the history of this song and showing them a couple of performances, I taught them how to sing the song line by line. Then, when we were done, I had them sing the song straight through.
They tried so hard to sing this song with respect and care. No, it was technically a great musical performance, but it was one of the most beautiful performances I have ever heard in my life. Moments like these make all of the challenges of Teaching during this pandemic feel worth it.
My Children
“...this job, this work, what’s I’d accomplished--it needed to be worth the time that I’d spent away from them…whatever it was that I’d missed. It better count” - President Obama
My job, my time away from my children, needs to mean something. Teaching is a way that I make the world a better place for my children.
My wife
It’s not easy having a partner who is a teacher. Diana has done so much to support me as an educator. There have been many times throughout this pandemic when I was stressed out or exhausted, and she has had to do more with the children or around the house. She has never complained about these moments.
Diana has never suggested that I leave teaching. Instead, I see this look in her eye when I tell her about my work. It’s a look of pride and love. Diana believes that I am a great teacher and has never wavered in her support.
My Blessings
My life is full of blessings. People throughout my life have been kind to me, worked hard to make my life better, and believed in me. I don’t feel like I deserve all that has been given to me. So, the only way that I can make meaningful these blessings and show gratitude to all those who did so much for me, is to do as much as possible for others. In teaching, I give to others and show that kindness every day that was given to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment