Monday, May 23, 2022

Parenthood: Week 476 - Happy Birthday Buffy: The First Night

We stopped at the Oasis, a kind of rest stop with restaurants and gas built over the freeway. I needed to get gas for the car. After getting the gas pump going, I went back into the car and looked over at Diana. She was sitting quietly, looking down at Buffy, our new puppy sitting on her lap on a towel. I reached over and touched Buffy’s soft fur. It felt like nothing I have ever felt before in my life. It was velvety smooth and light. Her fur wasn’t very thick, so I could feel her warm skin as I pet her. Her head tucked in against her body. She was just a tiny ball of fluff. 

Diana looked up at me and smiled. She looked tired but had a proud look of happiness. This was the end of a journey for us. There had been a lot of research, phone calls, and trips before we found Buffy, and this day was finally with us. There were no words. I saw all I needed to know in Diana’s face. This was a dream come true for Diana, and I loved how this moment, this journey made Diana feel. Even at that moment, with Buffy in our lives for such a short amount of time, I felt grateful for the joy Buffy had brought into our lives.  

Diana wanted to get a puppy, and I wasn’t convinced that this was a good idea for our family. I didn’t grow up with a dog, unlike Diana, and I wanted to do this right. I felt a deep level of responsibility, and I didn’t want to mess up having a dog. I read books and researched what it meant to be a dog online. I learned that “walking a dog” was code for letting the dog go to the bathroom. I discovered different breeds, priorities when training a dog, and how to take care of a puppy. All of this information was helpful and made me feel more comfortable with having a dog, but something was missing.  

Diana found out that a family friend needed someone to dog-sit their dog when they went on a trip. So we brought this dog Wrigley to live with us for a couple of days. Wrigley was a well-trained dog and wasn’t very difficult to take care of. While we were taking care of the dog, there were times that I was alone with Wrigley, and I wasn’t always sure what to do with him. I’d look at him, and he’d look back at me. I talked to him, but it felt weird, and we did go on walks which felt nice. The experience of having Wrigley with us initially didn’t feel that meaningful.  

When Wrigley returned to his owners, he ran right up to them. I didn’t even have a chance to take off his lead as he ran into his house. At that moment, I felt happy for Wrigley and his family, and I thought, “what about me?” That’s when I realized there is something different and magical about the relationship between a dog and a human. And I had felt that for a small amount of time, and I knew I wanted this in my life.  

It was late when we got home on that first night with Buffy. We had set up a play area and a crate for Buffy in our living room. We tried to feed her, but she wasn’t too interested, so we got her settled in her crate. 

I remember lying in bed, wondering if Buffy was okay. Then we heard her softly whining. Diana took her out to the potty, stayed with her for a bit, and got Buffy settled back in her crate. As Buffy slept through the rest of the night, I was very aware that there was another member of our family. Our condo felt different with her in it, our lives felt different, and our family felt different. So much changed that evening, and my life has never been the same.  

Buffy has been with me through great times and hard times. She has seen me through career changes, our move to our current house, and the birth of our three sons. With Buffy, I don’t have to be anything or be anyone; I can just be with her. 

Buffy has seen it all, and with her knowing eyes, I know that it’s all okay and that we’re going to be fine.  

Happy Birthday, Buffy! You are a wonderful dog. Bringing you into our lives was one of the best decisions in my life. I have always been proud of you, and I love you with all my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment