Monday, August 8, 2022

Parenthood: Week 486 - Taking A Moment To Have Fun

Parenthood is many things. It's exhausting, stressful, and it's emotional. It's full of insecurity that can feel isolating and confusing. The role of parenthood, along with other responsibilities, often feels like a grind. In the daily tasks and stresses, it's easy to forget that parenthood is also fun.   

There's always something to do around the house. There are dishes, laundry, meal prep, and cooking. Even when these daily tasks are done, there are other things to do, like cleaning the basement, organizing the garage, and paying bills. It's hard to get all these things done when you have children. There is only so much you can do after they go to bed, so it's a great chance to get some things done when your kids are working or playing independently.  

These moments almost feel magical. Lucas will be sitting looking through books or playing with a train. Ethan will be working through a workbook or carefully coloring a picture. Ollie will play a video game or work through a new algorithm on a difficult speed cube puzzle (a more advanced Rubik's cube-style puzzle).  

When all of my children are engaged quietly, I usually rush to get the dishwasher emptied or the laundry folded. It feels like a bonus, a chance to get ahead on the after-bedtime tasks so that I can possibly use that time to watch a show or work out.  

I've realized lately that these things that keep my children the most engaged so that I can do other things around the house are the things that are the most fun for me to do with them. When Lucas is looking through books by himself, he is delighted when I come and sit next to him and offer to read to him. When Ethan is coloring a picture, he loves it when I sit next to him. He tells me about his work and loves to ask me about the colors. Ollie is always happy when I play video games or sit next to him and practice cubing, asking him for advice as we work sitting next to each other.  

When my children are engaged in activities they like, and I decide to play with them instead of doing something like dishes, I've had fun with them, and it's been really nice. I worry that I might regret playing with them late at night when I'm doing chores, but I don't really because here's the thing: you can play with them and get things done. I'm not talking about multitasking. This has to do with the fact that it doesn't take a lot of time to have fun with your kids.  

Reading a book to Lucas can take as little as three minutes, and in that time, we can both have so much fun. Sitting and chatting with Ethan for five minutes doesn't take away much time from dinner prep. I can jump in a video game with Ollie for ten minutes and then jump out and get back to the laundry. It's never been long swaths of time that have made my time with my children fun and rewarding. It's about the time being meaningful and fun. And after some fun during the day with my children, chores late at night don't feel as annoying, because I have fun memories of the day to lighten my mood.

I know it's easier said than done, but make some time to have fun with your children, because that time will not always be there.  

The days are long but the years are lightning 
They're bright and they will never strike again 
...We all think we got the time until we don't

No comments:

Post a Comment