Friday, December 27, 2019

Top Ten of 2019: Part 3 - New Voices

6. Brittany Packnett 

Diana introduced me to “Pod Save America,” one of the best political podcast, and “Pod Save American” introduced me to Brittany Packnett, one of the most interesting voices I encoutered in 2019. 



I accompanied Diana to a live taping of “Pod Save America.” I had heard this podcast in passing but I had never really listened to this podcast closley. The live taping It was a wonderful experience. The theater in downtown Chicago was filled with people, united in fandom, and also sharing something else  much more important: a belief in the Democratic progressive values that stood in resistance to the sexist, racist, homophobic, and xenophobic administration, dedicated to maintaining power in the white patriarchy at all costs.

The men of Pod Save America, aware of their positionality, invited Brittany Packnett to join them on stage and she stole the show for me. Yes, the Jon Favreau, Daniel Pfeiffer, Jon Lovett, and Tommy Vietor were hilarious and informative (fueld by Jeppson's Malört_, however it was Packnett who interpreted the news and events in a way that got me to the edge of my seat. One of the main topics in the news that week was abortion. Being exemplary feminists the white men on stage gave Packnett the time and the space to explain the intersectionality between women’s reproduction rights, race, and class.

Ever since this event, I’ve been listening to Pod Save America, and they have provided me with essential insights and analysis of the politics in our country. I’m so grateful to them for their work, and I’m so grateful for them introducing me to Packnett. I now follow her as well, and her work continues to inspire, motivate me, and makes me excited and proud to share in her work to make this a more perfect, equitable, and anti-racist country.


5. Yola

I can’t get over the greatness that is Yola.

Her album Walk Through Fire is one of the greatest albums of the year, and one of the greatest albums of all time. Yola, is British, unapologetically Black vocalist and song writer with incredible vocal technique and expression. 

If all Yola did was record some of the greatest country songs of the year like “Ride Out To The Country,” and remind America of the essential and often over-looked influence of Black artist in country, she would have made this list.



However, she did so much more on this album.  “Shady Grove” is an incredible throw-back to 1960s pop music.



“Lonely The Night,” is one of the greatest Springsteen songs he never written or performed (Springsteen could never perform this song because of it’s enormous vocal range).



AND her cover of “Goodnight Yellow Brick Road” is breathtaking.



On top of all of this, her portrayal of a Freedom Rider in “The Highwomen” is one of the most emotional and powerful moments of the year.



Yola is is everything that is right with music, an artist who embraces the facets of her identity and her musical history, while making her own mark.  Her music converses with music of the past while saying something new relevant and essential. 

I don't think I will ever get over Yola, and this makes me feel so inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment