Friday, October 1, 2021

Year 12 – Week 4: Goal-Setting

These are excerpts from a goal-setting document I created as part of my teacher evaluation process.

When I think about these challenging times, the needs of our society and the needs of our students intersect and influence my work greatly at this school. Our school's mission focuses on the student's growth and empowering students to have a meaningful and positive effect on society. As trauma and uncertainty permeate every aspect of our lives, our mission which has always been relevant feels more meaningful than ever.

In my curriculum, I am focusing on learning in two different ways:

1. Work with students on skill-building work that engenders improvement that students can sense in class and over time. I need to rebuild music class needs so that students feel the satisfaction of learning and community joy. More than ever, they need to be shown examples of how they can learn and celebrate together the wonder of learning.

2. I am creating curricular experiences in which students feel the intangible joy of making music together. Through applying skills to songs, students can feel what it means to create as a group once again, see each other as having a role in their positive feelings, and feel empowered to bring joy into their own lives.

To provide comfort and predictability in uncertain times, I have focused on creating routines and structures in my pedagogy. This is not a time for surprises in class. While making students uncomfortable in safe ways to help them grow is important, I am setting up the class so they know that these moments are coming and giving them the space to process these feelings.

*****

The concepts of intellectual curiosity, cultural competency, and growth mindset are important tools to help support goals in our school. However, when I think about how they are related to DEI, SEL, and Citizenship, it is hard to separate these connections as I see them as all being related.

One of the primary goals of this school that has come to the forefront of my mind during the pandemic is the mental and physical health of our students. Nurturing students' curiosity, letting their wonders about the world contributes to SEL, and to their mood and positive self-image. Cultural competency gives students the tools to explore the diversity of others in a safe, kind, and respectful way. With less anxiety and less negativity, students can see differences as bringing light into their lives and feel more optimistic about the facets of their own identity.

As a teacher, I am working to give students space to process, think about their feelings, and state the unspoken tensions and achievements so that students feel less alone in their emotions. When we are open about emotions in the classroom, give students space to wonder and grow. We are letting them know that they are seen and that they are valued. When students feel seen, they more authentically see others and feel empowered to take chances that lead to growth.

*****

Positive relationships are at the core of our success as a school, and they are one of my favorite parts of my job. It has been a joy getting to know new administrators, staff, and teachers. I have prioritized connecting and supporting new their work as their success is all of our success. In passing on knowledge and providing support, I am also feeling growth through reflecting on what can be through my expression of what is.

Every new school year brings a new group of students and families that I have the privilege of getting to know. It starts with learning names and letting them learn about me as a teacher and person. It's a relationship built on respect, not authority. These students are people, first and foremost, not any less than me because of their age.

No comments:

Post a Comment