Sometimes I wonder what Lucas is thinking.
A couple of months shy of two years old, he is in full toddler mode. He walks around the house freely and climbs all over the couches. Lucas hasn't reached the "jump off of things" stage, but he gets himself into plenty of trouble. For example, he climbs on our coffee table and onto chairs, reaching for things left on the kitchen table. He does understand to get down when we tell him to. Lucas can pretty much run now, though he hasn't quite figured out what to do with his arms when he does run.
Lucas has mini-tantrums.
For example, when he climbs up on Ollie's chair, I will pick him up. Then, with my arms around his chest under his elbow, I can hold him away while his little legs kick and he squeals in protest. More often than not, he gets over this pretty quickly. There have been rough moments with him when the crying has continued, but usually, it's related to something like teething or a cold.
In the park, he will run happily around the playground. But, like most toddlers, he trips every so often. He stands up, looks at his hand, and tries to brush the dirt off of them most of the time. His little brow furrows when he tries to figure out what is on his hands. It's a very serious problem for him when this happens.
Lucas is doing more independent play at this stage than his brothers. Maybe it's because he has had to learn how to entertain himself. After all, he has the share the attention of Diana and me with his brothers. Or maybe it's just his personality. For example, he will bring me plastic bins of toys to open for him and books to read. However, he doesn't insist I sit with him. When he asks me to read him a book, he happily will sit next to me. When I tell him that I can't read to him at a certain time, he usually walks away and looks at the book himself.
One of Lucas' new favorite games is chase-kiss. He will run around the couch, and I will catch up with him, and he will pause, then I kiss him on the forehead, and he starts running again, waiting for me to catch up so he can get another kiss. The sounds he makes, the grunts as he runs, and the giggles as I kiss him to fill the house with energy and positivity.
When Lucas is hungry, sometimes he goes up to the high chair and tries to climb up into it. Other times he goes into the pantry and sees what he can find. That's why I found a bag of almonds lying on the ground when I got home today. A couple of days ago, I heard a crunching sound, and I saw standing in the front of the television reaching into a family-sized box of cereal. This box goes up to his chin, and he can barely carry it. He has to put his whole arm into the box to retrieve cereal, and he calmly puts the cereal in his mouth. I was about to call him to tell him to stop, but I let it go.
It was just too cute.
No comments:
Post a Comment