This King’s Speech – Part 7
“You are a powerful speaker.”
For the past two months, this affirmation has been in mind. But, mostly, it’s unsettled like a leaf in the wind. At times, it brings me a feeling close to pride, and at other times, it makes me uncomfortable.
I’ve been teaching for sixteen years, and I had the perception for all of this time that I was an unclear speaker, and that my childhood speech impediment was still me with. Teaching students and talking to groups of teachers was a big part of my job that brought me anxiety and discomfort.
For years, before a class, or a meeting, I would push aside thoughts and doubts and go for it. Sometimes I would forget about any concerns I had about my speech in front of students and other faculty, and others times, I would feel that my speech was flawed.
Part of me knew that I was a good speaker. I love reading books to students and telling them stories. Still, I’ve always doubted how effective I was in communicating verbally with other people.
The comment form the speech pathologist, “You are a powerful speaker” permitted me to be proud of my speech. Early in the school year, before teaching class, I let myself think of this affirmation. As a result, I let go of some doubt and came closer to fully enjoying speaking to my students. It’s one thing to be good at something and thinks you are bad, and it’s an entirely different thing to be good at something and accept that you are good at something. And I’m getting there.
I’m letting go more and more about concerns that my speech is not clear. I don’t feel myself avoiding words as much, and I enjoy taking the time to express things to my students. It almost feels like a dream being in the classroom now and letting myself feel and accept that I am good at speaking.
I feel like I can grow as a speaker, let my words come out more with less preparation, and participate without hesitation in conversation. I can be more of a speaker because I am more than I thought I was.
I think about my students and those who don’t realize they are good at something. I hope that I can help them see themselves as being powerful and permit them to believe in themselves in a small way.
As I see myself better as a powerful speaker, I am becoming to understand better that I am a powerful teacher.
No comments:
Post a Comment